Ostomy Reversal Journey: Finding Comfort and Gratitude 6.5 Years Later

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic shares experiences and advice on finding comfort and gratitude during the ostomy reversal journey, six and a half years after the procedure.
latina63

It's funny how I can still relate to my ostomates. It's been almost 7 years since my reversal from an ileostomy due to cancer and a lower anterior resection. Sometimes when I am having a bad day, I like to come on here and it brings me a sense of comfort. It's hard to explain. It has gotten better but definitely still not a bed of roses. Due to my resection being so low, I still have a lot of bowel movements and rectal nerve pain from the surgery. I somehow power through it. Do I sometimes wish for my ostomy back? Many times for sure, but I am grateful and somehow the good days outweigh the bad. Just know that someone thinks about you (even though I don't personally know you) and says a prayer. Life is hard but it's for the living and I will try to live it to the fullest!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mild_mannered_super_hero

Wonderful attitude, congrats on your successful reversal :)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Angelicamarie

Latina63.... Hi, so many had reversals and never looked back. It's nice of you to think of us... I do hope your health continues to get better. Good luck!

Angelicamarie

Past Member

As Angel said, I think it's really great that you still think of us and that you still get some comfort from this site. Life is for the living and you have the right attitude to make the most of it! Way to go! Best of luck to you in the future.

Puppyluv56

Just goes to show that we all have issues to overcome! Some are big, or seem big at first and once we adjust our attitude, the issues become smaller! I don't mind small issues, so I keep a big attitude! Lol

Puppyluv

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
lavern

Reading your post made me think of me and my daughter's situation. I have a permanent ileostomy since 2014 (ironically..... today is my 5th-year anniversary!!) My daughter had a temporary ileostomy for a year and reversal surgery resulting in a J-pouch. We have both had complications but in general, I think her situation is more complicated than mine. She often says to me.......I think having your pouch on the "outside" is easier in many ways!! When I think back on the day she had her reversal surgery, I remember that she was concerned about going through with it because she read about so many complications from reversal surgery. I told her that I would try reversal if I had the chance. Don't get me wrong. I see myself as a success story and I live my life to the fullest today!

I guess it's all in the perspective, right? Thanks again for sharing your story. I'm always happy to read about different life experiences!!

latina63

Thank you all for your comments!!! Life gives us all lemons sometimes and somehow we have to make lemonade!! LOL