Need advice on total proctocolectomy with revised colostomy surgery?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic provides advice and support for individuals undergoing total proctocolectomy with revised colostomy surgery.
Shadowchick27

Has anyone ever had to have a total proctocolectomy with revised colostomy surgery?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,089 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Hi, I'm not sure if you mean taking out a part of the large intestine all the way to the "bottom", thus removing the anus and creating a stoma? If that's it, then yes, I've had that surgery. I hope I didn't get it wrong.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Shadowchick27

Yes. Do you remember how hard the recovery process was?

Past Member

Hi shadowchick, yes about 4 months ago. The recovery process is rough the first 2-3 months. You don't have much energy and you slowly try to keep walking from day one. The bed is the norm for awhile. The 3rd month is much better. It will take time for your bottom to heal. You may be on your sides a lot. Takes a while learning how to change the ostomy bag, home health nurse will help you out with generally everything. 2-3 months for your stomach to feel mainly healed. Please message me if you need to ask questions. This site is far the best for friendly answers from people who live it. Hope that helps some. :)

ron in mich

Hi Shadowchick, I had a total proctocolectomy when I was in my mid-thirties and was sick and run down from UC/Crohn's, so my recovery took a while. It all depends on how healthy you are before the surgery. Good luck.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Shadowchick27

Thanks for replying. I have a couple more questions for you:

1) How many months of home health physical therapy did you have to do?

2) Did you have to change your diet and lifestyle?

3) I don't have cancer, but I am bleeding so heavily that I keep having to have transfusions. I am really sick. Do you believe that the surgery will help me get a better quality of life? (From your experience)

Past Member

I sent you a message.

Pirrip

We all wish you well anyway, mate.