Blood from stoma rubbing during jogging. Help!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses tips and advice for managing blood from the stoma caused by rubbing during jogging.
Willy

Hello all,

I've just started to jog as my job is somewhat stressful, and I wanted to alleviate some stress.

When finished and time to drain my pouch, there is a lot of blood which I noticed is from my stoma rubbing either

the pouch or skin barrier. (I have an ileostomy for 16 years). Any thoughts would be very appreciative.

Thank you, Willy

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,092 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Puppyluv56

Sounds as if the flange is moving around a bit as you jog. The stoma bleeds very easily. Maybe your pouch or flange hole should be a bit larger to accommodate the movement.

Puppyluv

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Willy

Puppyluv
Thank you for your reply. The flange is secured pretty well and yes, I have tried increasing the size of the flange hole but then I end up with an itchy/sore rash beneath the stoma due to the output. I'll keep trying... Thanks again
Willy

denverguy

You might want to try a wrap. It will keep everything in place and should stop any friction. I use one when hiking, stops the bag movement and holds it in place.

Puppyluv56

As Denver guy says, maybe the wrap is the answer! Keep us posted!

Pup

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Willy

Denverguy,

Thank you for your reply. I must admit I don't know what a "wrap" is? I usually purchase Hollister products and haven't

seen them. Are you able to give a manufacturer's name so I can view online? Thank's in advance......

Riva

Try looking at the wraps from Ostomy Secrets. I live in Florida (heat/humidity) and I find they work very well with an active lifestyle. Good luck.

chet8625

I always used a belt but also tucked the pouch up so that there was less pull down. Always emptied just before running. As someone else mentioned, the stoma bleeds very easily but doing what I mentioned always helped me.

countyclare

Hello Willy,

I'm Mike from Lakewood, Ohio. I came across your recent post. You might consider using an Eakin ConvaTec Cohesive Protective Seal

to first wrap around the edge of your stoma before putting on the wafer and pouch. The Eakin Seal is very effective in protecting the stoma

and surrounding skin. I've had an ileostomy for over thirty years. Hope this information is helpful.

Feel free to write back if you need clarification. (

Willy

Thank you "ALL" who have responded to my inquiry. Appreciate the help...
Regards, Willy

HenryM

Reading your post, my first question is:  what appliance are you wearing?  I have jogged with an ileostomy for many years (tho' I'm slowing down now) and never experienced what you described.  Perhaps you ought to try another brand of appliance.  I wear Hollister, a soft faceplate, and cut it to fit.  Another possibility would be to find a knowledgeable ostomy nurse to question about your situation.  Perhaps, meanwhile, switch to walking, which is about as reliable a stress reliever as running.  Good luck and I hope you can solve your problem.

TNDavid57

I also use the ConvaTec Eakin Seals attached to my wafer. It does give a more flexible barrier of protection from the wafer rubbing the stoma. I also wear a belt attached to my pouch for better fit and stability. I have never used a wrap, but might consider it. I just don't want another layer under my clothing.

Willy

Thank you Henry, I have been using Hollister flanges #14603 and I too cut to size with the #18113 pouch. My ileostomy does protrude about 1 1/2" from the belly. I'm thinking it just rubs so much that it bleeds. I'm going to try a wrap and see if it helps. Thank you everyone.............. Will let you know if I find a solution.

Cheers...

bigal1579

I jogged for years with my ileostomy with no problem. More recently, my hip has been sore, so I switched to walking/hiking. Walking can be as good exercise-wise as jogging, especially if you build in stairs and/or some serious uphill. It's also easier on your joints and can reduce the inevitable aches and pains that might someday preclude jogging.

Also, the fitment and wrap suggestions are all right on. You should easily be able to solve this issue. Keep on truckin'.

denverguy

Ostomy Secrets is the company. I have three, all machine washable. Also, wear them with a suit. Extra protection.

Good luck and happy life!

w30bob

Hi Willy,

My stoma bleeds when something rubs against it as well, so I get what you're saying. I don't jog, as I struggle with trying to put weight on, and I don't let anything stress me out.....but whenever I bang into something or my dog paws my stoma, it bleeds for a minute or so and then stops. Sounds like your bag is rubbing against yours and causing the bleeding. Not sure if a wrap is going to prevent it or not, as your stoma will still be making contact with the inner surface of the bag. I've never found the bleeding to be a problem, just makes the contents of the bag a bit alarming if you use a clear bag. I don't have a good answer for you on this one other than grin and bear it, as I'm not aware of anything out there that can cover your stoma inside the bag and leave enough room for your output to still freely enter the bag. You might be able to rig something up just for jogging.........I'm thinking of maybe attaching a curved aluminum strap to a Stealth Belt directly over your stoma and then using Velcro attached to both the inner face of the strap and to the outside of your bag directly under the strap. The strap would hold the bag off your stoma while you jog. You'd need to rivet the curved aluminum (or plastic) strap to the Stealth Belt, but that's not hard. I'll think about this one as the day goes on, and if I have any brainstorms, I'll shout back. I'm sure we can figure this one out.

Regards,

Bob

Willy

Thank you for your input, Bob! Cheers..........