Ostomy Supplies: Pricing Transparency Issues?

Replies
Views
richichi

I am fairly new here with my ileostomy, but I find buying supplies to be a problem. The problem is that the pricing of items isn't readily posted like when you buy any other items, and there seems to be collusion and price fixing. They all charge the same amount. Do you all find this to be true, or am I delusional? Where is the fair market on these items???

Puppyluv56

Hi Rich,

I never saw the pricing of supplies prior to ordering and was blown away at the cost on the invoice when I received my supplies! I was very lucky to have met my OOP last year when I ordered, and this year, I have Medicare that picks up the remainder of the cost my primary leaves! I have not compared the prices and even the catalogs do not have them. I imagine you can call the companies to ask and compare prices. I know a lot of folks buy supplies outright and can answer some of those questions better. It is all ridiculous in cost!

Puppyluv

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,369 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Morning glory

I think the prices are ridiculous. It is gouging in my opinion, but they have us over a barrel. When I first started using the pouches in 1987, a box of ten was about $10.00. I thought that was high but now I would be happy to have that price. You won't find the prices in a catalog. You can call the supplier and get the prices, but the prices are very much the same.

mild_mannered_super_hero

I buy my own supplies, dealing with insurance and especially government insurance is too much trouble. Most supply companies will give you a cash discount, since then they don't have to go through the bullshit of dealing with Medicare or some insurance company. I have found Mega Medical is by far the cheapest and their shipping is reasonable. I also buy some supplies on eBay. Most of the stuff on eBay is estate items, so watch your "use by date". As an example, my Hollister 1796 cap is $60 at Mega Medical. Recently, I bought 4 boxes on eBay at $20 each. The same item through Medicare is over $100....so I wind up paying as much or more for my "part" depending on the deductible.

NJ Bain

Richichi,

I go through Edgepark. The pricing isn't really finalized until checkout after they check insurance. With my insurance, a box of 10 - 1 piece pouches goes for around $35.

Bain

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

I'm grateful I live in a country with good healthcare and insurance. The boxes I order of 1-part bags cost $297 for a box of 30, but I get them for free.

Past Member

Agree with, same in Australia (and I think the UK). 

In Australia though, you have to take into consideration the fact that we pay a shitload more taxes (particularly the workers amongst us) than anyone in the USA would ever do, so there is a price to pay in day-to-day living for socialized medical care.  Not that I'm complaining (I pay a yearly admin fee of 60-70 AU which covers all products). 

I have noticed on my association's newsletters recently that they state how much the products cost (can be in excess of 200 per month) and to be able to sustain the scheme in the long run, Australian ostomates need to be mindful of how much they order - these schemes don't always last forever.

w30bob

Hi Richici,

Of course the prices for this stuff are ridiculous... they're "medical supplies". That's code for "if us medical supply companies get together and agree on a nice high price the insurance companies will have to pay it". If you can find an ostomy support group in your area, they usually have boxes and boxes of donated things from members who change brands, etc., and would like people to use them before they expire. It's not a reliable way to get the exact supplies you need every month, but in a pinch, it works well.

This might make you feel a little better... I take Humira as a preventative to keep my Crohn's from coming back. I need to inject 2 pens per week because my body laughs at it and kicks it out pretty fast. I never knew or saw the price of the Humira, but figured it must be expensive. Abbvie let me join their discount club and I only paid $5 for a 12-week supply of Humira. Struck me as kind of odd that they'd care about a whole $5 if the stuff was expensive, so I got thinking maybe since it's been out there on the market for a number of years that maybe it's actually pretty cheap. So I'm going along paying my $5 every 3 months, happy as a pig in s* t, and then a few months back I had a pen misfire and I had to call the specialty pharmacy to get a replacement pen. When they sent it, they mistakenly put the price of my 12-week supply on the receipt. Hold on to your ostomy bag, brother... $82,000.00! I'll save you from cracking out the calculator... it's a little over $3,400 for ONE 40mg pen. Even though my insurance covers it, I called Abbvie and told them what a-holes they are to rip off the insurance companies like that. But it's not just them... every pharma company that sells medicine and medical supplies rapes the insurance companies... who pass the cost onto their customers. Quite a racket they got going. Makes you sick just thinking about it. I too use eBay when I run low on something, but again, not reliable. Wish I had a better answer for you... hopefully others may.

Take care,

Bob

Superme

I agree, the prices are way too high. I could use my insurance, but I have a big deductible that makes it very undesirable to use. I buy my supplies on eBay. If I'm going to pay out of pocket, I would rather get the least expensive option.

Mike

Vikingthor

Come live in the UK, we have a free National Health Service, where EVERYTHING is absolutely free! It doesn't cost me a single cent for any medicines or hospital procedures.

minnie0329

I was just discharged from visiting nurse, already hit my OOP...looking for a good company to deal with...Liberty calls almost every day...makes me uncomfortable...and I've read bad reviews on Edgepark...I just noticed MegaMedical...Now..to answer a question...The catalogs don't have prices so that when the prices change, they don't have to print a whole new catalog.....If you do call for quotes, be sure to make a note of the "part #", price, date, and the representative's name...Great question...thanks!

Puppyluv56

I use Edgepark and have had no issues! Not all companies file to your insurance, so be sure to ask that question. I have never received a new catalog since the first one over a year ago. There are no prices in there, so they would not send a new one based on price. I have talked to the people at Liberty as well, but I called them thinking they were a supplier and could send samples. They did call me a few times until I told them I was sticking with Edgepark and would notify them if I decided to change in the future.

Puppyluv

Little Red

I use Edgepark and Liberty Medical. I order some supplies from Edgepark, like my Hollister bags and my Cavilon Skin Barrier. I order other things from Liberty. Liberty does not carry Nu Hope Stoma Belts or Cavilon protective wipes. I also use Shield for incontinence supplies. They are great and call me to reorder every 3 months. I have had an incontinence problem ever since my surgery.

dls

My distributor is Byram Medical. They're great but don't carry everything, even if it's on my script. I try everything. Never thought about eBay, but I have bought some great pouches from Amazon. Made in China, FDA approved, I've had great luck with them, and one variety is my absolute favorite. Amazon really plays games with their pricing - upping the price as products become popular. Annoying. Here in NYS, I've seen brick and mortar shops sell bags for as much as $60 for ten. I sometimes ask my rep the prices of things, they all run at about $50 per 10-bag box. Oh, you get free shipping if you buy more than 50. Gee. Must try eBay, thanks for the tip.

I am blessed with excellent health coverage. I have no deductible and my ostomy supplies follow the same guidelines as Medicare, although I'm not on Medicare yet. I order more than I need every month and bring extra to my ostomy group. Someone mentioned ostomy groups as a source for product. Mine is fantastic. Tables full of product, we bring shopping bags and 'shop' around the tables as we chat. In the last year, I've probably got over 500 in 'free' product. As mentioned, most of us walk in with supplies, so we give and get what we need. Yearly, my group donates several 'tables' of supplies to ostomy charities. Good, my next meeting is getting 4 bottles of M9's. My rep keeps sending me two bottles at a time. I rarely use M9's. My point, if you have generous insurance, order up to your allotment, and donate the rest, or send to people on this site who need it.

HenryM

High prices and price fixing and gouging by medical supply firms are par for the course.  We are a captive audience.  But so is just about everything else in life price fixed.  As an inveterate cheapskate, I bellyache about it all the time.  I find cursing to be more comforting than prayer.

dls

Me too.

christielou

What brand do you use?

HenryM
I use Hollister CeraPlus New Image skin barrier (#11202) with matching drainable pouch (#18122). I'm very happy with it.
christielou

I have a lot of Hollister to get rid of and not sure what I have at the moment. I would be happy to give it to you. Also, there is a place in Florida that offers supplies to people without insurance. I can also give you that #.  I am out of the county at the time. Leaving tomorrow for home.  I'll make a note to get back to you.