Ileostomy as a Result of Severe Anorexia

In this discussion
Replies
Views
EmLou

Hi.

My ileostomy was formed in October 2017 due to a sudden perforated bowel primarily caused by malnutrition - owing to years of battling severe anorexia and maintaining a low weight.

Wondering if there are any other ostomates out there with a similar story, who want to recover, but in particular struggle to gain weight physically.

Thanks.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,102 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

iMacG5

Hi EmLou.  I know almost nothing about anorexia and lots of other stuff.  I do know, however, when someone expresses a desire to fix something they've taken a step in a good direction.  Many folks here have had experience with weight control and both physical and psychological pain from those conditions.  Asking for help is a great start.  Please keep us posted as you learn.

Respectfully,

Mike

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Puppyluv56

I agree, Mike. EmLou. I only know the opposite direction and the destruction to the body is equally as bad!

Lot of folks on here have trouble gaining weight. I am sure they will pipe up!

Puppyluv

EmLou

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement and support. It does feel as though it's a case of one step forward, two steps back' at times (as I'm sure you can attest!)

I have recently started going to stoma support meetings at the local hospital, which are proving beneficial to my mental and physical health, although I have yet to meet anyone who has had a stoma formed as a result of anorexia (hence the reason for my post).

I will definitely keep you updated as I progress through my recovery.

Thank you again for your response.

EmLou xxx

Puppyluv56

EmLou,

That is great that you are attending the Stoma meetings! I have never been to any, but our local hospital system does have a very active group. I think anorexia is a rare reason for an ostomy. I have yet to see any posts on here about it, but hopefully someone will post since you have again taken a first step here!

Puppy

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister