Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,247 members

Ileostomy as a result of severe Anorexia

Posted by EmLou, on Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:35 pm

Hi. 

My Ileostomy was formed in October 2017 due to a sudden perforated bowel primarily caused by malnutrition - owing to years of battling severe anorexia and maintaining a low weight  

Wondering if there are any other ostomates out there with a similar story, who want to recover, but in particular struggle to gain weight physically. 

Thanks. 

Reply by iMacG5, on Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:56 pm

Hi EmLou.  I know almost nothing about anorexia and lots of other stuff.  I do know, however, when someone expresses a desire to fix something they've taken a step in a good direction.  Many folks here have had experience with weight control and both physical and psychological pain from those conditions.  Asking for help is a great start.  Please keep us posted as you learn.

Respectfully,

Mike

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:52 pm

I agree Mike. EmLou. I only know the opposite direction and the distruction to the body is equally as bad!

lot of folks on here have trouble gaining weight. I am sure they will pipe up!  

Puppyluv

Reply by EmLou, on Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:39 am

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement and support. It does feels as though it’s a case of one step forward, two steps back’ at times (as I’m sure you can attest!)  

I have recently started going to stoma support meetings at the local hospital, which are proving beneficial to my mental and physical health, although I have yet to meet anyone who has had a stoma formed as a result of anorexia (hence the reason for my post).   

I will definitely keep you updated as I progress through my recovery. 

Thank you again for your response. 

EmLou xxx

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:07 pm

emLou,

That is great that you are attending the Stoma meetings! I have never been to any but our local hospital system does have a very active group. I think anorexia is a rare reason for an Ostomy. I have yet to see any posts on here about it but hopefully someone will post since you have again taken a first step here! 

Puppy

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.