Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,328 members

Iliotstomy

Posted by looking forward, on Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:56 am

about 4 months after my iliostomy i discovered  my hair was thinning, fingernails peeling and red bruises on my legs. went to dermatologist-a young man who happened to have some work done by my same dr in tampa-he told me this is common some months after the surgery. since it was serious and very tramatic for me. gave me some cream etc and said it would all go away. have any of you heard of this?? 

Reply by Bagface, on Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:05 am

Lookingforward-About 4 months after my ileo surgery my hair started falling out. The doctor said it was common after a high stress event, such as surgery. It lasted for about 6 weeks. I lost around 40 percent of my hair. I was devastated too! But it has grown back, thank God! Good luck to you!

Reply by freedancer, on Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:42 pm
Bagface wrote:

Lookingforward-About 4 months after my ileo surgery my hair started falling out. The doctor said it was common after a high stress event, such as surgery. It lasted for about 6 weeks. I lost around 40 percent of my hair. I was devastated too! But it has grown back, thank God! Good luck to you!

Yes!! Very common.  I lost almost all of mine after having 4 surgeries in a row, three of them emergency.  It grew back curly, which I have never had before.  Then after my neck surgery in October 2018 and my son's death in December of 2018 and the ongoing stress from my upcoming divorce, it has started to fall out again by the handfuls.  So darn depressing!!  It is called Tulogium Effusion. Not sure if I spelled it right!

Reply by freedancer, on Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:44 pm

I have the blotchy red bruises on my arms.  Is that part of the disorder?  I am doing OK by the way.

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.