Retracted Stoma

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Diana

I'm 35 days post surgery. My stoma is retracted quite a bit. Did anyone's retracted stoma ever protrude? I'm having trouble with leaks but experimenting with products. Any insight into either?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,092 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

MagicFlute14

My stoma retracted and I had problems with leaking at the beginning, but then I found the wafer that fit me. I use convex wafers and they fit fine around the hole that is left. You gotta try. Call the different companies that offer products and request samples until you can find the right one for you.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Hermit

Get mine from Convatec.

newnormal

I had a retracted stoma two years after the surgery and ended up needing it revised. It was a quick, easy stoma revision surgery. I'm not saying you need a revision, but if it continues to do this, your surgeon might want to take a look at it. Convatec does make good products, including their convex wafer, and free samples. If you have a WOCN in the area, they are very helpful with this kind of thing. My stoma will still retract every once in a while, but I push it back out. I definitely wouldn't do any pushing if you just had surgery though. Hope it gets better; a retracted stoma is so frustrating.

Diana

Thank you everyone. It's a bit better and I may have found a solution.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister