Urostomy Stopped Up at Night

In this discussion
Replies
Views
flynfshr

I am a two-bag-daddy, and have a right kidney only, colostomy, and urostomy -- for several nights my kidney began to hurt, realized urine was not flowing. The first time I went to the hospital, the doc inserted a catheter and got it opened up. A few nights ago, I had the same thing again. I noticed that the drainage bag I leave on the floor creates a vacuum when it begins to fill. It literally sucks the bag tight against my stoma, and I suspect it squeezes it closed! Last night, I put some air in the night bag, and did not have the vacuum effect, and the bag filled normally. Has anyone had any such thing?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello flynfshr. I don't have this problem but very much appreciate you sharing the experience with us. Sometimes there are simple mechanical logic to problems we face and if we can work out what these are (as you seem to have done) then simple solutions become possible. The beauty of sharing is that when one person works it out, then the rest of us can benefit from their experience. 

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Puppyluv56

Flyfisher,

Glad you figured that out! Save on hours in the ER! Even better knowing there isn't anything seriously wrong! Good info!

Pup