Staple/Stitch Removal 4 Weeks Post-Op: Is it Too Late?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses whether it's too late to remove staples or stitches four weeks after ostomy surgery, and what to do in such a situation.
Gemd

Got my Barbie butt on June 12th, have staples and stitches. The surgeon says usually he takes out some post-op week 2, then the remaining ones on week 3. But he is on vacation the entire 4th of July week, according to his scheduler (he told me he had Monday and Tuesday available, but she said he requested vacation those days). So they scheduled me for July 9th afternoon. Taking out all staples and stitches in one swoop, 4 weeks post-op. Is that "ok"? Won't they have healed over so I basically have to have mini surgery to get them out of the inside of my skin by then? That will hurt like hell. He didn't want to do 2 weeks post-op as that date was really only 10 days post-op, too soon.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,089 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Longroad78

Happy to hear your surgery went well with no issues.

I had nothing but stitches on mine and I had them removed around the fourth week. There were issues for the doctors' team getting to the stitches because the skin made it hard for the doctors' team to get the scissors in to cut them, and the thread was like fishing line - hard to cut. It was painful. I think there were 7 areas they cut, and I was in pain as they cut the stitches loose. It only hurts for a moment, but it felt great once they were gone.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Sasquatch

My surgeon used dissolvable stitches for mine, there was no need for him to remove anything. At four weeks post-op, I still had a little drainage from the wounds, meaning they weren't completely healed. At five weeks, I was released from any restrictions, but there was still a minimal amount of drainage. My guess is it will be okay, probably not pleasant, but okay.

Puppyluv56

I think mine was in longer than that! Closer to 5 and six weeks! They will be fine. It does not hurt to have them out. Maybe a little pinch here and there.

Puppy

judgelori

I'm new here and I really need to know what a Barbie-butt is!!! Lol

Lori

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Mark1070

Lol. Barbie and Ken have no hole back there. It's when everything is removed and sewn shut. :)

judgelori

Oh!! Cool.......I have a Barbie butt, too, then!!!! That was the weirdest thing that I ever heard of when the doc said he was gonna do that. Lol....still getting used to the feeling of it....