Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,317 members

In person meet ups?

Posted by Mark1070, on Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:24 am

Marsha, Can you provide info on the regional conference in Maryland? Thank you. 

Reply by Mark1070, on Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:51 am

Rissy, 

It occurred to me that setting up a meetup group is simple but it won't happen on its own. I just took the first step. Even though this page is for Maryland, feel free to join. I'll begin to post ideas to the group. I'd recommend setting a similar page for New Jersey. 

Regards,

Mark

PJT
Reply by PJT, on Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:59 pm

I'm in New York and, like Marsha, I used to attend Ostomy Group meetings in Manhattan. It seems like eons ago but it was nice to meet other ostomates in person and share thoughts, ideas and concerns. If anyone is traveling to the city I would be happy to meet up for coffee or a bite to eat.

Reply by withed, on Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:40 am

10 years ago give or take there were yearly meetups from an European Crohn's and Colitus group foundation. We'd spend the weekend in some hotel and we'd have activities like sightseeing or discussing certain topics. Each year was good fun. It wasn't a big group, I guess 20 or so? But they were from all over Europe. So you'd get an impression how things are elsewhere. A shame they quit doing that. 

Here in the Netherlands they have a yearly ostomy meetup where they hire off a swimming pool so people with ostomies can swim without fear of being looked down upon. I have no interessest in attending that but ideas for what to do on such a meetup day are plenty. Just be creative.

Really depends on where people are coming from, if they're all from the same town you can do something simple like hanging out at a coffee place, get to know each other. But if they have to come from far, you're better off planning something bigger. People would like to stay somewhere for the night as fatigue is something you have to take into account.

Reply by Mark1070, on Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:07 pm
withed wrote:

10 years ago give or take there were yearly meetups from an European Crohn's and Colitus group foundation. We'd spend the weekend in some hotel and we'd have activities like sightseeing or discussing certain topics. Each year was good fun. It wasn't a big group, I guess 20 or so? But they were from all over Europe. So you'd get an impression how things are elsewhere. A shame they quit doing that. 

Here in the Netherlands they have a yearly ostomy meetup where they hire off a swimming pool so people with ostomies can swim without fear of being looked down upon. I have no interessest in attending that but ideas for what to do on such a meetup day are plenty. Just be creative.

Really depends on where people are coming from, if they're all from the same town you can do something simple like hanging out at a coffee place, get to know each other. But if they have to come from far, you're better off planning something bigger. People would like to stay somewhere for the night as fatigue is something you have to take into account.

Good info, withed! 

Reply by until2meet, on Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:45 pm
Mark1070 wrote:

I've been looking for local ostomy hiking groups for ten years.  The meetup.com hiking groups don't work for me because their snack and bathroom break schedules are very different than mine, as any ostomate would understand. I've spoken with other ostomates who've expressed a need for outdoor ostomy groups for various other activities. e.g.- running, biking, climbing, etc..

I haven't thought of a group hiking like this, it's a great idea.  I've hiked many trails in NY, alone and with other's,  but never with a fellow ostomates.  Truly,  would be a great way to spend a day, and not have the only topic be about your individual challenges as a ostomate, but enjoy the benefits of life and nature.

Count me in!

Michael 

Reply by Mark1070, on Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:09 pm

I agree, Michael. It's always great to meet other ostomy-hikers! Please take a look at the local Maryland page and sign up: https://www.facebook.com/groups/353856981953889/   We're already affiliated with UOAA and plan to expand the group to other areas so feel free to set up a similar FB page in your area.  And if you're ever in the Maryland area, don't hesitate to let me know if you have time for a hike or backpacking trip.  I'll do the same if i'm up your way. Let's chat soon. Mark 

Reply by warrior, on Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:13 pm

Hi there, great idea. I live in Monmouth county. What kind of group get together are you thinking about? People need to pick each others brains on this subject (iliostomy, care, crhons, etc)  and meeting socially, everyone being equal, no jugements, is a wonderful idea. LMK your thoughts.  Cheers!

Reply by Mark1070, on Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:08 am
warrior wrote:

Hi there, great idea. I live in Monmouth county. What kind of group get together are you thinking about? People need to pick each others brains on this subject (iliostomy, care, crhons, etc)  and meeting socially, everyone being equal, no jugements, is a wonderful idea. LMK your thoughts.  Cheers!

I couldn't agree more. We can exchange tips and other advice while doing activities we enjoy. I intend to help post-surgery ostomates get out of the house, out of depression, and to a point they can be confident doing the things they once enjoyed. The local meetups can be anything, from sports to grabbing coffee at a local shop. I'm a hiker so I simply invite group members to join me or ask if anyone has a good trail they'd be willing to show off. It's that simple. You're welcome to join and I'd encourage all to start similar page in their area. UOAA will be linking the pages on their affiliate support group list so that more people can find local groups or find a group in an area they're travelling. 

Reply by warrior, on Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:22 pm

hmm. Been over a month since she posted anything. Hope she's okay. Anyone hear anything from rissey?

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.