Shower protection for ostomy bag - any recommendations?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
looking forward

Hi, I just showered and then dried my hair with a hairdryer.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,102 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

dls

A bit late to this party, but here's my two cents. I never wear anything into the bath or shower. Buck naked. Let the soapy water run over your stoma, take a washcloth and get every smidgen of adhesive off, and just enjoy being clean. When I was in the hospital, they made me shower like that, all trussed up with plastic wrap. Not for me. I change my bag every time I bathe or shower, daily. Feels great and gives my body a chance to enjoy having nothing on. It also makes bathing easier as I'm not 'working around' anything.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Puppyluv56

This really goes to show "to each his own"! What a wide variety of systems to get to the same end, very interesting isn't it?

I do know that as a newbie, I took many more precautions than I do now. I have always said we evolve. That stands true with processes, products, mindset, all of it!

Puppyluv

lovely

I know it has been awhile since this question was asked. But I just read this question. You did not say if you tried to shower with just the wafer and pouch without anything covering it. I have never had a problem and I don't cover mine, I just dry it off with a towel. I also make sure there is air in the pouch. The air keeps the pouch from being against the skin.

vanestag
Reply to BeachRN

What does zinc oxide do?

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
vanestag
Reply to Little Lulu

Just wondering, does Medicare pay for any of this waterproof tape everyone is talking about or am I the only young senior?

AlexT
Reply to vanestag

Helps with drying your skin and protecting it from moisture. I also use it every time I shower. Wash my stoma area off with Dial soap, rinse well, apply some Head & Shoulders and let it sit on my skin around my stoma for 30-60 seconds and then rinse it off well. I've had no skin irritation since I've started this.