Has anyone dealt with recurrent prolapse?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
AGB1982

Recently, I had my second prolapse at home. The first time it happened, I was in the hospital and had a stoma revision on May 16. Anyway, it's been over a month and it happened at home on Friday. Luckily, I got my ostomy nurse on the phone and she instructed me to use the ostomy powder and to reduce, push my telescoped small intestines back into my abdomen. My efforts were successful, but now I'm terrified it's going to keep happening. I want to live my life and feel comfortable leaving my house or going for a walk or being intimate with my boyfriend. Does anyone have any advice on how to prevent this from happening again other than not lifting anything heavier than 5 pounds? I'd really appreciate some advice.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Hermit

Just had surgery for mine with colostomy! It prolapsed 5"! Had it for 1 year! When intimate, used 6" support belt to hold it on! Surgeon said, it just happens!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Bill

Hello AGB1982.
Sorry to hear that you are having a problem with prolapsing. It can be a very disturbing and worrying condition as well as being a nuisance.
This topic has come up several times over the years and the correspondence can be found in ‘collections’ under ‘Ostomy-related Complications’.
I have experimented with a number of things to try to prevent this happening but am reluctant to share them with a general audience as some of them were downright dangerous and others were successful – only because I have a colostomy and irrigate, which means I don’t have to worry about output during the day.
Below are three post on the subject but I had to scroll down a long way before I found them again – so be patient.
Best wishes
Bill

(found in ‘collections’ under ‘Ostomy-related Complications’. )
Prolapse
posted by Carlson

Prolapse??
posted by wend

Prolapsed Stoma
posted by honestabe

AGB1982

Hi Bill,

Thank you so much for writing me and for searching for those posts. I'm definitely going to look into finding them because like you said, prolapsing is a real nuisance and I'm desperate for some answers. I feel like my ostomy nurse didn't have much to offer in the way of prevention. Her answer was that it's just chronic in some patients, which I found very discouraging. Anyway, thanks again for your help.

Best wishes,

Amanda

Byrneoo

Hi Agb

Kevin is my name. I had my ileostomy in July 2019. Stoma nurse advised me to wear a 7-inch elasticated cloth band over my stoma to help prevent a hernia forming. I wear it all day and take it off for bed. Anyway, one day about 10 weeks after surgery, I was doing some painting in the house and decided to take it off as it was uncomfortable when bending low to do the skirting boards.

After about 30 minutes, I checked my stoma bag and got a fright when I felt something hard deep into my bag. I took the bag off and discovered the stoma had prolapsed about 3 inches and was very swollen and a purple color. I lay on the bed and held it upright, and eventually, it went back in after about 40 minutes with no pushing or force. I've had a lot of prolapse since, but only when I'm not wearing the band and I'm doing something physical.

I've had a lot of prolapse since, but only when I'm not wearing the band and I'm doing something physical.

I've had quite a few prolapses.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister