Newbie with Colostomy - No Output from Stoma: Common Problem?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Lakes2019

Hi, I had my colostomy in June. All was going well until last week. I always make sure I am hydrated as I also have a SPC. I take Laxido/Movicol sachets daily to make sure my stools are soft. For some reason, I started with diarrhea. I had this for 2 days. Since then, I've not had anything from the stoma. Three days I have had no output at all from the stoma. I mentioned this to my nurse on Friday and she wasn't worried as I still making wind noises. Is this a common problem? Thank you.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,100 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Donleo

I think it depends on what you eat. Maybe see what output you get from different foods. I find carbs produce lots of solid but bearable output. I use disposable, flushable liners. They're great, very sanitary. They are hard to flush on low flow toilets. Good luck.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Mrs.A

Hello,

Still nothing from your stoma? Are you eating normally? I agree with Donleo that it could be from something you ate that gave you the loose bowels. I used to keep a diary of what I ate each day so I could try to figure out what agreed with me and what was not so agreeable. As long as you're not in pain and you keep your nurse informed, then you should be okay. When in doubt, you could always give your doctor a call.

Jennie

I have a functioning ileostomy. I eat nuts and cheese to make my output more solid.

Taradale

I have an ileostomy. I just had it a few months ago. It's my 3rd....the last one stopped outputting and I had severe stomach pains...I had to go into the ED. And they found out I had a blockage and had to have surgery as some tissue died going into the stoma. So now I have a new stoma which is much better than the last 2 which were too small and leaked all the time. I don't know if it's different for colostomy....but just thought I'd mention that with an ileostomy time is a major factor. After 24 hours of no output, it's the hospital for me...I have a non-functioning J. Pouch too inside me. Hope you are okay. nbsp

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Puppyluv56

Hi,

It does take time for your ostomy to settle down and back to a routine. That is probably why the nurse was not concerned. If that lasted for more than a few days, I would seek attention but your ostomy may have completely emptied and had no more to give.

Hope it is all working out for you. Please let us know!

Puppyluv