Reply by charleston guy, on Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:14 pm
xnine wrote:

No does not mean try harder.

No means to me 

Not Obligated!!

Reply by Bill, on Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:43 am

Oh no! -not more linguistics and meanings

No - as a symbol of nobellium

No - as an abbreviation of Noh (traditional Japanese drama)

No - as an abbrevition of number

No - not any 

no  - (as in he is no fool) (or he did it in no time.) 

no  - (as in no way!)

no - as in no amount

no - as in no-vote

no as in no longer

no - as in an abbreviation of not ( like it or no - it is true)

N0- as a negative answer to a question.

To venture into the world of linguistics should be a no-no.

Best wishes

Bill 

Reply by Pirrip, on Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:12 am

No Bill ..... I disagree

No Bill ....... zero to pay

No Bill ...... not here anymore

No Bill .... no advertising

No Bill .... born without a beak

No Bill ..... to know Bill is Noble

Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:00 pm

Hi Bill,Pirrip, folk,

No ..

Nay, the neighburros where braying, not too loud as to rebuff, spurn or

to reject the ass that is now too often silently rejected, reduced to self

denial (is that a big river that can flow at many knots?) or just a plaice

that is not a fish.

No?

Well, it may be or a wasp, would you refuse or choose?!

Tc folks

steve

Reply by Pirrip, on Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:23 am

As the weary knight made his way up the body strewn slopes of the castle defences, his armour dented and scored from the recent battle, his face spattered with the blood of the many warriors he had decapitated, he spared a thought for his poor horse, Myrtle, should he have left this magnificent stallion, in the charge of a peasant woman?  She had sworn she could fix his split hoof. She had seemed too young to have much knowledge of treaments, but  teh red horse, 'Flame'  had gone straight up to her and nuzzled her, he had never done that to anyone, much more likely to nip! 

As he reached the summit, he saw the crescent stone, its eerie light, shining through gaps in the heaps of bodies that were draped over it. Pulling the bodies away revealed the small stone box, pulsing with a weird blue light.  He reached for the key that had hung from his neck these last twenty years. The stone seemed to jump as he pushed the key into the jewelled lock. He turned the key, click.... Now a line had appeared where the lid fitted, with trembling hands, he garsped the side of the lid and swung the box open! There, brighter now, nestled in velvet, was the ..........(please continue)

fredbilt wrote:

Hi Bill,Pirrip, folk,

No ..

that is not a fish.

No?

Tc folks

steve

Reply by Bill, on Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:19 pm
Pirrip wrote:

As the weary knight made his way up the body strewn slopes of the castle defences, his armour dented and scored from the recent battle, his face spattered with the blood of the many warriors he had decapitated, he spared a thought for his poor horse, Myrtle, should he have left this magnificent stallion, in the charge of a peasant woman?  She had sworn she could fix his split hoof. She had seemed too young to have much knowledge of treaments, but  teh red horse, 'Flame'  had gone straight up to her and nuzzled her, he had never done that to anyone, much more likely to nip! 

As he reached the summit, he saw the crescent stone, its eerie light, shining through gaps in the heaps of bodies that were draped over it. Pulling the bodies away revealed the small stone box, pulsing with a weird blue light.  He reached for the key that had hung from his neck these last twenty years. The stone seemed to jump as he pushed the key into the jewelled lock. He turned the key, click.... Now a line had appeared where the lid fitted, with trembling hands, he garsped the side of the lid and swung the box open! There, brighter now, nestled in velvet, was the ancient scroll of no-no's

No swearing

no smoking

no sex  (etc, etc)

no Nothing!  ..........(please continue)

fredbilt wrote:

Hi Bill,Pirrip, folk,

No ..

that is not a fish.

No?

Tc folks

steve

Reply by xnine, on Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:40 pm

OK I guess some of you have not been dating for awhile.

No means  not upping the foreplay thinking that yes is around the corner.

I thought the words were meaningful concidering what is on the news lately.

Reply by Bill, on Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:43 am
xnine wrote:

OK I guess some of you have not been dating for awhile.

No means  not upping the foreplay thinking that yes is around the corner.

I thought the words were meaningful concidering what is on the news lately.

Hello xnine. Sorry for changing the context in which your 'no' was meant, especially as it may have detracted from the original message. Of course when someone says 'No!' in the context of not wanting sex, that 'no' should be respected. If it is not, then it transgresses into the realm of bullying or even assault.  I have been married for more than fifty years and still stop when told to do so. However, close relationships and communications are sometimes not so straightforward as 'yes or no' and deciphering what person means when they don't make their wishes explicit can become a nightmare.  My own philosophy includes not trying to make people do anything that they do not want to do. Hence, I tend to want them to clarify their wishes with regard to these matters.  This can lead to my wife feeling that I am too logical and somewhat  'unromantic' in my approach to such matters. My response is to say that in a culture of blame and litigation, it would be wise to get written consent before entering the realm of sexual encounters. She replies that a marriage certificate is such a legal document. I reply that this is not so in the context of sex or any other activity involving more than one person. each activity must be by mutual consent and nowadays there needs to be definitive 'proof' that this consent has been agreed upon. 

My wife and I are able to discuss recent news events in the light of our own previous discussions and we raise some interesting and controversial questions about who may be culpable and to what extent. 

I am so glad that my wife and I have moved beyond the necessity for explicit explanations of our wishes, as time together tends to establish a mutual understanding of how we feel and there is enough respect for these matters to be resolved before they turn into problems. 

Best wishes

Bill 

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.