Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,179 members

Uoaa Conference

Posted by loverofmusic, on Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:58 pm

Hello, everyone. I saw that there is a UOAA Conference in Philadelphia this year, in August. Has anyone ever attended in the past, that could share their thoughts?

Kathy Smile

Reply by w30bob, on Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:57 pm

Hi Kathy,

I've never been to one of these conferences, but I looked over the conference website a week or so ago.  My takeaway was that it was pretty expensive for information that's mostly available here or on other ostomy sites.  There is some new stuff on the agenda that looks interesting, but not sure it's worth the 4 hour drive each way, the cost of the conference and the cost of a hotel.  If it was closer to me where I could come home every night it might be more appealing.  You'd think a major medical organization or medical supply company that could easily afford to do so would pick up the tab for ostomates like us to get in free.......but that's not the case.  Hopefully others who have been to these events in the past will chime in so you can determine if it's worth your while to attend.  

Hey.......you're in Pennsylvania........how about we all attend the conference and crash at your place each night????  Wooo-Hooo!!!!  Osto-Party at Kathy's place.........spread the word!!!  Ok, just kidding.  But seriously, if you do go take good notes.......we're all interested in what the conference is like. 

regards,

bob 

Reply by Mark1070, on Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:53 pm

Never been but I'm going this year to discuss a new meetup support group. I've been told they can be quite fun. 

Reply by loverofmusic, on Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:44 pm
w30bob wrote:

Hi Kathy,

I've never been to one of these conferences, but I looked over the conference website a week or so ago.  My takeaway was that it was pretty expensive for information that's mostly available here or on other ostomy sites.  There is some new stuff on the agenda that looks interesting, but not sure it's worth the 4 hour drive each way, the cost of the conference and the cost of a hotel.  If it was closer to me where I could come home every night it might be more appealing.  You'd think a major medical organization or medical supply company that could easily afford to do so would pick up the tab for ostomates like us to get in free.......but that's not the case.  Hopefully others who have been to these events in the past will chime in so you can determine if it's worth your while to attend.  

Hey.......you're in Pennsylvania........how about we all attend the conference and crash at your place each night????  Wooo-Hooo!!!!  Osto-Party at Kathy's place.........spread the word!!!  Ok, just kidding.  But seriously, if you do go take good notes.......we're all interested in what the conference is like. 

regards,

bob 

Hi Bob,

Ha ha - an osto-party! I am 5 1/2 hours away from Philly, so it wouldnt be too much fun to drive back every day! Thank you for your thoughts, and writing on this - i'm not sure if i am going to go or not Smile I just feel like I have so many friends, but not one of them gets what it is like, and I was interested in meeting others that understand this situation Smile

Thanks for replying,

Kathy Smile

Reply by loverofmusic, on Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:52 pm
Mark1070 wrote:

Never been but I'm going this year to discuss a new meetup support group. I've been told they can be quite fun. 

Hi, Mark, 

That sounds interesting, to have a group that meets up! I would definitely do something like that, its nice to have support Smile I am really thinking about going to this Smile

Thank you for replying Smile

Kathy

Reply by Mark1070, on Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:03 am

Kathy, 

You're not far away and i plan to expand the group to other states. (I will need admins). Please join here and read the posts: https://m.facebook.com/groups/353856981953889?tsid=0.4404902093280598&source=result

Reply by Tickpol , on Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:09 pm
w30bob wrote:

Hi Kathy,

regards,

bob 

My thoughts as well.  There's only 25 vendors too so if you don't need to see any of the forums or speakers you can do it in two hours.  $115 is just too much for that.

Tickpol

Reply by w30bob, on Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:33 pm

Ya know........I just checked out the link below, which lists all the vendors that will be at the conference.  I really would like to go and talk to some of these folks about ostomy products because I never have time to sit down and browse catalogs.  But it's a long drive from here. When it's closer (Baltimore, DC or Richmond) I'll probably go.

https://www.ostomy.org/discover-a-world-of-ostomy-products-at-uoaas-national-conference/

Regards,

Bob

Reply by loverofmusic, on Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:31 am
w30bob wrote:

Ya know........I just checked out the link below, which lists all the vendors that will be at the conference.  I really would like to go and talk to some of these folks about ostomy products because I never have time to sit down and browse catalogs.  But it's a long drive from here. When it's closer (Baltimore, DC or Richmond) I'll probably go.

https://www.ostomy.org/discover-a-world-of-ostomy-products-at-uoaas-national-conference/

Regards,

Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your thoughts! Today is the last day to register, and I've decided not to go either Smile Have a great day - stay cool with this heat!! Eeek!

Kathy

Reply by loverofmusic, on Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:37 am
Tickpol wrote:
w30bob wrote:

Hi Kathy,

regards,

bob 

My thoughts as well.  There's only 25 vendors too so if you don't need to see any of the forums or speakers you can do it in two hours.  $115 is just too much for that.

Tickpol

Hi Tickpol,

I've decided not to go to the conference Smile Thanks for replying Smile

Kathy

Tickpol wrote:
w30bob wrote:

Hi Kathy,

regards,

bob 

Tickpol

Hi Tickpol,

Kathy

Tickpol wrote:
w30bob wrote:

Hi Kathy,

regards,

bob 

Tickpol

Hi Tickpol,

Kathy

Reply by loverofmusic, on Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:38 am
Tickpol wrote:
w30bob wrote:

Hi Kathy,

regards,

bob 

Tickpol

Hi Tickpol,

Kathy

Reply by w30bob, on Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:36 pm

Kathy.........you must REALLY not want to go to that conference to answer Tickpol 4 times!!!

It's OK....you don't have to go.  Really.  It's all good. 

;O)

bob

Reply by loverofmusic, on Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:23 pm
w30bob wrote:

Kathy.........you must REALLY not want to go to that conference to answer Tickpol 4 times!!!

It's OK....you don't have to go.  Really.  It's all good. 

;O)

bob

Ha ha - thanks for letting me know!! I didnt think it sent! ha ha 

Not going, not going, not going, not going. ha ha ha Smile

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.