50th Stoma Anniversary - Celebrating 50 Years of Life with a Stoma!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic celebrates and shares experiences of living with a stoma for 50 years, offering insights and support to those with similar experiences.
Dixie1

Hello everyone,

I know I have not been around very much for a very long time. Getting back in touch and enjoying all the posts. So much to catch up on! This truly is a great place to come to when you feel like you're "the only one with one" reminds us all we are not alone!

This July I celebrated my 50th birthday! I was 10 weeks old when I got my ileostomy! Thus, it also became my 50th Stoma Anniversary! I decided now that I am 50 when no one 50 years ago thought I would survive the surgery, let alone go on for 50 years!

I've decided to celebrate my stoma, talk about it more and my life with one than I had done in the past. 50 years of experience and counting! In 50 years, I've had my ups and downs but as someone told me at my surprise birthday party, "Everyone says, '50, it's all downhill from here! Just keep climbing the mountain!

I can't promise I'll be here daily but definitely more than once in a while every year or so!

Have a great day! Find one thing to smile about today!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,091 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

ron in mich

Happy birthday, wow 50 years. I thought I was doing good at 34 years of having an ileo.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member

Happy birthday!!!

:)

vdahl

Bravi Dixie... Happy happy birthday and have a rockin' stomaversary!!!

Kudos to you, too, for being willing to be open and willing to talk about it... assuming you mean outside the group too. I'm a relative newbie in the scheme of things with regard to the stoma but a proverbial veteran when it comes to passing 50!!! It's truly a blessing to reach this half of the ride.

I can't even imagine the changes you've witnessed in the ostomy world. I remember it being thought of as a near-death sentence, especially at such a young age. The products and process of today probably don't even resemble what was normal 50 years ago.

I had my first ileostomy just two years ago and had a harder time with recovery than I was determined would be my success story. Last year I had a revision and the colon totally removed. I had a few little snags but within a couple of months, the stoma was nicely healed and everything just got better and better. After the initial surgery, I was blessed to have nurses and home health care that were God-sent, making the emotional recovery doable... they suggested naming my stoma so I would think of it as a part of me rather than an enemy. I named mine Roo... as in Kangaroo, making taking care of MY pouch a friendly process. Getting through selecting the right combination of products is tricky on its own. I feel like I've mastered my routine now and can rock a change in less than 5 minutes, often forgetting about it even being there. I'll introduce Roo to anyone who cares and have probably even mentioned it to a few who don't :)

I'm inspired by people like you! Keep up the great attitude. I always say kindness is key... you seem to show that in spades.

Hope to see more good news! Vicki

kmedup

You are definitely stoma-mentor-in-chief. Congratulations and happy birthday. I agree with Vicki et al. Stories, like yours, are a true inspiration. Karen

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
mild_mannered_super_hero

Congrats on your 50th!!

Bill

Happy birthday Dixie!  

Fifty years should give us the experience to understand that the unnecessary trivia in life should no longer hold us back  and the knowledge of hindsight to help others who might still be restrained by it. 

Best wishes

Bill

anyark

Happy Stomaversary! You are definitely a role model!

JudiA

Congrats and thank you for posting such an uplifting note! My 30th will be in December!

Judi

DaisyMae

Happy birthday to you and your stoma. I will have my 50th in October. I've had my colostomy since 9 days old. As you said, keep climbing uphill. We are in this together. Hugs

looking forward

I am about 6 months out. Cannot imagine how you do it. What was it like for you growing up??

Tangleloft 06

Hi Dixie

Congrats on both your anniversaries. I will be having a big 70th birthday on the 27th, but only 6 with the ileostomy.

You are a true role model for us that say they hate the ostomy.

Have a great day and enjoy your birthday

Elaine

NewlifeVictoria

Hi, wow! Amazing 50 years, and you're beautiful. You can write me anytime!! Congrats and Happy Birthday. Have a great day! Victoria

vikinga

Happy Birthday/Stomaversary Dixie!!!! Glad you are here to celebrate it!! :) I am a fellow Canuck:))

dls

Congratulations on a fantastic life in progress. You've spent your whole life with your stoma. Wow. For my part, I'm happy you survived and grew up to be such an inspiration. You look wonderful. Stay on site and help us relative newbies... we need you. Again, thanks for logging back in and sharing your success.

Lt. Dan

That's amazing! Wow. Happy anniversary! That's very inspiring! 50 years with an ostomy. I was beginning to wonder about time and how the appliances affect the skin over time. I've had mine for 10 years now. You 40 years longer than me. That's truly amazing. So glad you posted! Thank you! And best of luck to many, many more.

Dan

HenryM

First I've ever heard of one so young getting this surgery.  Happy birthday to you.  I was 21 when I got an ileostomy.  I'm 76 now, so it's been over 55 years.  They didn't expect me to survive surgery either.  Life just kind of happens anyway, huh?  

Puppyluv56

Happy Birthday Dixie! What an inspiration! Cannot even begin to imagine dealing with this as a child! I know you could share some horror stories about ostomy products and care from your young age!

Puppyluv

Hermit

Good for you!

Lt. Dan

That is truly amazing! You are a great inspiration and role model for all of us with ostomies. I always wondered how long our skin can survive under plastic flanges. Seems like we can adapt to the problems at hand. Apparently, us humans are very resilient to unexpected tragic events. 50 years! Wow. Congratulations.