Coronavirus: Impact on Osteomates

Replies
Views
looking forward

How is this virus affecting osteomates? Do you find it easier or more difficult?

w30bob

Hi, looking,

I'm not following your question... easier or more difficult to do what?

Regards,

Bob

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,520 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Hi there,

For all of us, I think it has to do with having a low immune system or not and basically whether we come in contact with the germs, no matter how. That's all I can think of. It's supposed to be spread through droplets, last I heard. If you stay away from people sneezing or coughing, that is one thing, but whatever it lands on can be transferred, I'm sure, in a number of scenarios.

lovely

I don't understand the question either, easier or more difficult than what?

Longroad78

I am still working and traveling. Vehicle only in Texas. My work has not changed too much as I work in the Powerline industry, but I have to be careful as I am in contact with a lot of people and I have to protect myself and those around me. People in Texas continue to move forward, but the stores are getting a lot more empty as the days go on. They are still working hard to stock water and meat, but the produce is starting to run low.

Notice people getting stupid and stealing toilet paper and soap at the gas stations depending on where you go. It might become an issue when emptying pouch, but a roll of paper towels in the truck and a refillable water bottle works well in the bathrooms on the road. Just go easy on the size of what you flush down. I did get an email from my ostomy supplier that was interesting. I guess people are calling in too much to get supplies and they are requesting people to go easy on the calls. I do not know if there is a shortage or if people are trying to stock up on supplies or do not have a lot depending on their insurance company.

I guess some of you have been on prescription drugs before your surgery and some of us that have Crohn's and UC were on Humira or similar drugs that suppress your immune system, which can make you have a little more issue with what the virus can do. Hopefully, everyone is taking good care of themselves and their family to weather through this.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

Hi Longroad,

I received a text from my ostomy suppliers today. They said they have been busy with a large volume of calls, so don't call them until you're ready to reorder.

And the run on stores, especially toilet paper. Yeah, it appears to be everywhere.

...mtnman

Bill

Hello looking forward.

I too am not sure whether or how the virus is affecting me as an ostomate as compared with just another person having to adjust to this new set of circumstances. I went to my chemists this morning to pick up my prescription and there was a queue from the shop doorway right into the car park, with each person standing a yard or two apart. I asked the first person in the queue what was going onand she said that the chemist had locked the doors and was only allowing one person in at a time.  It was freezing cold and wet outside so, I decided that I would rather go home and try another day than stand out in that weather with the risk of getting pneumonia. Today, I am going to see what it's like shopping for groceries.  The main supermarkets have said that they are reserving the first hour of opening for elderly people, - well! that doesn't sem to be working, as there is now a rush of people at that tiime in the morning because they think they might get the stuff they want. such a fine plan is too difficult for shop staff to police and the police have better things to do with their time.

I guess we are all going to have to endure the behaviour of antisocial people until, one way or another, the unaccepatable behaviour is curbed. I did like the concept the the Spanish police adopted, when they told people to stay at home and self-isolate. when they found that some people were disobeying the dictate, they decided that if people did not shut themselves away, then it was their duty to lock them up!

Best wishes

Bill

w30bob

Hi Bill,

Looks like Spain is doing the exact opposite of what our idiot elected officials are doing over here. Here, they're releasing criminal prisoners from jail back into the public because the jails are confined spaces and don't meet the CFC guidelines for allowing safe distances between people. AND the police departments are no longer arresting folks for anything that's not a violent felony. Which is why gun and ammo sales are through the roof. You can guess how this is going to turn out. Stay tuned... this is going to get interesting.

Regards,

Bob

ron in mich

Hi all, as a long-time ostomate, there isn't much that bothers me. But in general, I miss hanging out with friends at the local bar and watching sports or going to the local hockey rink to watch the games.

iMacG5

I feel like we are at an advantage. We are a group of folks involved with some common problems. We share our problems, our attempts at remedies, our successes, failures and our hopes. For the most part we support each other and have been doing so forever. This social dilemma might be new to most of the planet but not to us. IMHO there’s nothing more rewarding than working together for each other’s benefit. We’re probably affected similarly to the rest of the world but we’re better prepared to help ourselves and each other.
Just my thoughts,
Mike

Past Member

I would expect the same as everyone without an ostomy... We all have different health problems with or without an ostomy. So far, so good for me. No signs of it and hoping to keep it that way. I'm in the vulnerable group as I have no immune system. UK advice is to self-isolate for 12 weeks if you're 70 or older or in the vulnerable group. I started social distancing and isolating myself as best as I could since the end of January. I think it's madness with what's happening all over the world. The UK government hasn't done a fat lot about it until this week! I use Salts products, and being a UK company, I have received an email from them saying they have no problems with supplying and manufacturing products, so no need for anyone to overorder and stockpile products.

No one is allowed in my chemist unless they have received a text message to say their prescription is ready.

Past Member

Hi Panther, yes it's getting more crazy as time passes. You take care of yourself there. I hope they find a vaccine before the government steps in and takes things too far. We should all stick together and update what's happening around the world in our ostomy community. I think we all appreciate hearing how this thing affects us in different ways. Thanks Panther,..mtnman.  

lovely

Bill, I am guessing from your post that you do not have a drive-thru to pick up medicine. They just called me that my prescriptions will be ready next week. I am glad I have a drive-thru. Good luck.

Bill

Hello Lovely.

You are right in assuming that we don't have drive-through pharmacies. (at least in this part of the UK) With most of ours, we have problems getting to them on foot, as the car parking in the towns was designed before the horse and cart! Nowadays we might have to take out a mortgage on the house in order to be able to afford to park a car (especially on hospital sites). Anyway, I gave up trying to get my medication at the pharmacy and asked them to deliver it. When it came by taxi this evening I was charged the taxi fare! Interestingly, that was cheaper than the car parking fees, so I might try that again in future.

The shopping trip was interesting, in that we got more or less everything we needed without having to fight for it. There were of course no soap, toilet rolls or pasta, but these are things we can do without. There were plenty of Easter eggs, so things are not looking too bad at present. 

In the past few days the virus has sparked a flurry of new rhymes to express my cynical views on human nature in this regard. I do hope that the human race stops its borderline insane antics  in the near future, but if they don't, I can always benefit by capturing their insanity in rhyme. Especially as I am self-isolating and have little else to occupy my mind and my time. 

Best wishes

Bill

lovely

So Bill, do you also have to pay for parking? I hope they have some trusted taxi drivers that won't run off with your medicines. LOL

Bill

Hello Lovely. 

I think the taxi drivers will be only too pleased if they get calls from the pharmacy, as most of their other work has rapidly dried up  with people self-isolating. If the medicines were not delivered, then they would not get any more work from that source and it would simply not be worthwhile them stealing them.  Anyway! the sort of medicicines that I have, would not command much on the open market as they only have benefit for the specific conditions associated with 'crap' of one sort and another. 

Best wishes

Bill

w30bob

Now Bill... do I even need to comment on that one?

;0)

Bob

Maried

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and my home is near a train station. The parking lot is usually filled to the brim, but now it is like a ghost town. Hardly anyone on the streets except a few dog walkers or bike riders. It's hard to find pasta, toilet paper, and canned fruits or vegetables sometimes. It is truly a scary time. Many people are working from home like myself, while others are sent home which equals no paycheck for many.

Past Member

Hi Maried,

These are dark days. I think most places are like that. I'm glad you can work from home. I guess we just watch and wait and see what transpires.

..Mtnman

Bill

I just posted this on Clormad's blog, so forgive me for copying it in here as well, but I think it is a great pertinent poem:

Brother Richard Hendrick, a Capuchin Franciscan living in Ireland, has penned a touching poem about #coronavirus.
Lockdown
:
Yes there is fear.
Yes there is isolation.
Yes there is panic buying.
Yes there is sickness.
Yes there is even death.
But,they say that in Wuhan after so many years of noise
You can hear the birds again.
They say that after just a few weeks of quiet
The sky is no longer thick with fumes
But blue and grey and clear.
They say that in the streets of Assisi
People are singing to each other
across the empty squares,
keeping their windows open
so that those who are alone
may hear the sounds of family around them.
They say that a hotel in the West of Ireland is offering free meals and delivery to the housebound.
Today a young woman I know
is busy spreading fliers with her number
through the neighbourhood
So that the elders may have someone to call on.
Today Churches, Synagogues, Mosques and Temples are preparing to welcome
and shelter the homeless, the sick, the weary
All over the world people are slowing down and reflecting
All over the world people are looking at their neighbours in a new way
All over the world people are waking up to a new reality
To how big we really are.
To how little control we really have.
To what really matters.
To Love.
So we pray and we remember that
Yes there is fear.
But there does not have to be hate.
Yes there is isolation.
But there does not have to be loneliness. Yes there is panic buying.
But there does not have to be meanness.
Yes there is sickness.
But there does not have to be disease of the soul
Yes there is even death.
But there can always be a rebirth of love.
Wake to the choices you make as to how to live now.
Today, breathe.
Listen, behind the factory noises of your panic
The birds are singing again
The sky is clearing,
Spring is coming,
And we are always encompassed by Love.
Open the windows of your soul
And though you may not be able
to touch across the empty square,
Sing

Bagface

Bill, thanks for posting this.  

w30bob

Yeah, maybe the world really did need a reset. It was getting pretty crazy out there. Hopefully people will get their heads straight on a lot of issues that were slipping away from us. At least temporarily. It's sad it takes something like this to get folks to see the light, but even parents who refuse to hit their kids need to smack 'em up side the head every once in a while to get the point across. I think the world is getting the point. Hopefully.

Good work Bill, as usual. Thanks.

Regards,

Bob

Puppyluv56

Bob,

If parents have not smacked their kids upside the head before, they just may adopt different parenting skills after being cooped up with their children for the duration of this mess! Lol

Pup

iMacG5

Thanks, again, Bill.

Mike