Understanding Ostomy Supplies: A Beginner's Guide

Replies
Views
iMacG5

I know most of us are experts and know all the definitions af all the stuff we use for our situations. Sometimes a newbie could iuse a little help with the terminology and I copied this for that purpose.
Mike

Ostomy Supplies and Descriptions
For new ostomates, the first step of taking care of your ostomy is to first understand all of the ostomy supplies, how to use them correctly, and how they work. You should do this first because you’ll be changing your own appliances, but you’ll also be able to communicate more effectively with healthcare professionals and retailers providing your ostomy supplies.

Brand Names: You’ll find many leading manufacturers of Ostomy products, and you may get recommendations for different reasons.  Three of the biggest providers of ostomy supplies are Hollister, Convatec, and Coloplast.   There are online medical suppliers who can supply discount ostomy supplies.
Here’s a list of supplies and a brief description of them:
1-Skin Wafers – A Skin Wafer, or “flange”, fits around the stoma. Since stomas can come in all shapes and sizes, the wafer typically requires cutting unless the manufacturer will pre-cut them for you. There are moldable wafers on the market, but most will require cutting to fit the patient’s stoma.
2-Ostomy Pouches – There is a lot of variety in ostomy pouches – they come in all shapes, sizes, and types.
     “One Piece” vs. “Two Piece” – The “one piece” system means the pouch is directly attached to the skin wafer. The “two piece” system means the pouch can be detached from the wafer and replaced, emptied, and/or cleaned.
     “Closed End” vs. “Open End” – An “open-ended” pouch is drainable and reusable. The bottom is closed off with Velcro or a clip. A “closed-end” pouch has no opening, so it’s not reusable but is preferable for outdoor activities and swimming where leaking could occur.
     Sizes of Pouches – Pouches can come in a number of sizes, including small pouches designed to be more discreet (but will have to be changed more frequently).
3-Adhesive Remover – An adhesive remover wipe is used to treat the skin where the wafer attaches around the stoma. It helps keep the skin clean and non-irritated.
4-Skin Barrier Wipes – Skin barrier wipes are applied before putting a new stoma onto the skin. They help keep the skin around the stoma infection-free and wound-free from the adhesives needed on the wafer. It will help ensure the adhesive on the wafer will stick.
5-Stoma Powder – Stoma powder helps dry up moisture so the wafer sticks well and promotes healing for irritated skin.
6-Stoma Pastes – Helps the wafer stick well and evens out the skin surface so the wafer adheres confidently.
7-Barrier Rings – Like the stoma pastes, it helps even out skin surface and keep the wafer in place.
8-Ostomy Belt – The belt will help the wafer in place against the body by putting pressure on the edges.
9-Miscellaneous Supplies – To ensure cleanliness and proper use of your ostomy supplies, you’ll also need a few more things:
     Pen – To make your markings on your wafer to make the cut
     Scissors – To cut the wafer to the size of the Stoma
     Soap – Cleanliness is next to godliness. Or at least keeps infections away.
     Several washcloths – You’ll want clean cloths to wipe any leakage or waste as well as to dry off the skin or appliances before applying them.
     Mirror – This can be useful if you need to get a good view of your stoma while handing your wafer our pouch.
This is a brief overview of what you should keep handy in your “ostomy kit”. If you’re active, working, swimming, in school, or travelling, you should always pack a separate kit to take with you. The best way to ensure you’re always with your tools is to bring two extra sets of supplies (wafers, pouches, pastes, etc.) with you at all times. This way, if you have to use one, you’ve got another accessible to you in case of emergencies.

HenryM

I hadn't thought about this for years, but you've reminded me that the reason I went to a two-piece from a one piece is because I can see better what I'm doing when I place the skin barrier over my stoma.  I rarely ever take the removable pouch off once it's on.  Also, I use an appliance with a "floating" flange so that, once I place the skin barrier around the stoma, I can slip my thumbs under it to press the pouch on, thus avoiding having to press down upon my belly. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,485 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

lovely

Hi, Mike, that was a great idea and it was good of you to take time to do it. I am sure some will be helped by it. Like some of us talked about before, we did not get much information when we left the hospital.

iMacG5

Hi Henry and Lovely.  I think it's great to share our thoughts.  It's good to come up with something we think could be helpful and twice as good when the feedback suggests it was.  

Thanks for your thoughts,

Mike

kmedup

Hi there,

Super idea - even for me and I am an oldie. Just, K.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Bill

Hello Mike.

What a lovely idea to help newbies and oldies alike. As I was reading items 3&4, it occured to me that these two also come in sprays. I found the wipes were not as effective for my own needs and the sprays rectified that.

Best wishes

Bill

Puppyluv56

Mike, great post!
Many varieties in all supplies as well.
Then there is irrigation! LOL

Pup

Past Member

Hi Mike,

Great, you put that out there. For the longest time, I thought barrier rings were the same when someone spoke of wafers.

We sometimes learn the hard way. This is very helpful for many people. ..mountain.

Pirrip

Now, he tells me.....

TerryLT

Hi Mike, this is very helpful. I appreciate it and I'm sure many others will too. After my colostomy, I was sent home with a ton of supplies. All were explained to me at the time, but I never had cause to use some of them and have forgotten their purpose. A light has now come on! I wondered what the stoma powder was for, thanks. I have these little packets, same size as the adhesive remover wipes, but these are called "no-sting skin prep", so I guess these are what you called the "skin barrier wipes"? I don't have anything called stoma paste but I do have barrier rings. Is this an either-or thing? You would use one or the other but not both?

Thanks again for this, so thoughtful of you.

Best regards,

Terry

Pirrip

I think stoma paste is used to fill irregularities in skin contours, so as not to have a stress point to give the ring of adhesive an excuse to start coming off! Skin prep is supposed to form a barrier, between the adhesive and your skin, to prevent allergy. Have you not been offered any literature by the medics? I'm sure they must have a booklet to hand out? Enjoy the journey! It all soon becomes second nature....

Puppyluv56

I was given stoma paste in the hospital. A nurse came in one night to "help" check and change my pouch before I had been instructed on how to do it. Well, she used nearly half a tube of that stuff thinking she had to glue the thing on me! OMG, what a mess! That tube dried out from not being used and finally found file 13! Never tried it again. Never had a need! The paste was not the wicked part in this, but that memory will never allow me to use it! Haha

Puppyluv

TerryLT

Hi Pirrip,   OK, thanks, that all makes sense.   I was given lots of literature when I had my initial surgery, now two surgeries later, I think they figured I was an old hand and didn't need it.   All I got this time was diet-related stuff as I now have an ileostomy.   Meeting next week with the ostomy nurse again, so just filling in some blanks in the meantime.

Cheers,

Terry

TEA17

Great information, Mike. Now if we can educate our medical providers on basic ostomy types. Often, I have had my ileostomy referred to as a colostomy. Maybe not a big deal to them, but it is to me. I have seen ostomates who are confused and aren't sure what type of ostomy they have because of how their provider refers to the ostomy.

iMacG5

I just re-read this thing and I need to make a correction.  Item #1 would be more accurate if it read, "There are moldable wafers on the market that eliminate the need to cut the opening to the size and shape of the stoma".

Thanks for all your help fellow MAOers,

Mike