Ostomy Fashion: Dressing Post-Surgery Dilemma

Replies
Views
History2u
Reply to Dlynn

I wear the same clothes as always, not a problem. Four months in and jeans, shorts, dress slacks, whatever is needed for work or relaxing. Jeans are a bit "heavy" but I live in SoCal and it's been a warm year.

Joe

noticehappythings20
Reply to Dlynn

Some of my patients really like the Stealth Belt. It conceals the pouch. See image. :)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,806 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

vollovr

Hi Deanna, for 37 years I have worn the same clothes that the general public wears. I wear everything I wore prior to surgery (ileostomy). I wear stretchy panties that cover my pouch and they hold it in securely. When I had surgery in 1984, my ostomy visitor was a pretty college student who came into my hospital room wearing form-fitting white Levi's! I was so surprised and impressed, thinking, "Hey, if she can do it, I can!" She was petite, about the same size as me, 5'1" and 102 lbs.

Artsy Lady
Reply to Dlynn

Hi!

I have had my ostomy for 4 years. Most of my regular clothes still work. But I've mostly worn jeans that sit just below my waist and just above my ostomy. I also limit myself to longer and looser tops.

I have found underwear that works great for me made by Jockey.

They have a wide 4" spandex waistband that holds my bag tightly against my body without binding or causing "muffin top". You can find them at Walmart.

I too wore loose stretchy pants for a long time as I am a caretaker for my mom and don't need to leave the house for work. I now suspect that the lack of support may have led to my hernia growing. Maybe ask your nurse about that.