Should I Wear a Hernia Belt After Surgery?

Replies
Views
Past Member
Jan 05, 2022 9:55 pm

Hi everyone,

I was reading some older posts on hernia belts. Is it a good idea to wear one from the start? Will it prevent one from happening? I had my surgery in March 2020 and my stoma nurse never mentioned it. But it sounds like it is the worst to get a hernia.

Thanks

AlexT
Jan 05, 2022 10:06 pm

I don't think it's a 100% guarantee to prevent one. I think it helps, but the chance (lesser with a belt) is still there to get one.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 34,017 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member
Jan 05, 2022 10:09 pm
Reply to AlexT

They are kind of pricey and it sounds like you have to get measured for them. Hmmmm

AlexT
Jan 05, 2022 10:14 pm

Check with your insurance. If you get your doctor or ostomy nurse to prescribe one, it might be covered.

patrickrichardson1946
Jan 06, 2022 8:08 am

My stoma nurse advised me to wear one as often as possible, which as time goes by, I have become more lax. If you are carrying something heavy, and I mean heavy for an ostomate, or doing something where you are exerting yourself, then I would wear one. It is a matter of personal judgment, but I would err on the side of caution. I wouldn't have thought belts were that expensive, but living in the UK and not wanting to sound smug, I can get one supplied from the NHS (National Health Service) every six months. Are belts in Canada different from the UK ones? On Amazon, from £20, measure yourself or get a friend to do it.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Past Member
Jan 06, 2022 10:18 am
Reply to patrickrichardson1946

I've just started searching for belts and they seem to be in the $200.00 CAD range. I don't have private insurance so nothing is covered. But it is well worth the money if it prevents a hernia.