Managing Ostomy Bag in Summer Heat & Swimming: Tips Needed!

Replies
Views
Family12

Hi everyone,

This is going to be my first summer with my bag. I have noticed this weekend as it was hot, that my bag gets damp and wet as I am hot and I'm sweating. What do you do to keep it from not sticking to you.

Also, for swimming....my biggest concern. Is there a special wafer that is waterproof? How do you cover it in your bathing suit? Do you just put it in your bathing suit? Do you wear underwear as well? Is there something out there that I'm not aware of for swimming...what happens if I get a blowout in the pool or something...when you get out what do you do...do you empty right away...do you go change into your regular clothes....I have no clue....

PatinPickering

Hi Family12. I've had my colostomy for over 20 years, so here's some feedback:
1) I use talc powder at the top of my thigh (right under my appliance/bag) to diminish the effects of heat and sweating;
2) Swimming is trial and error as I'm not aware of any wafers specifically designed for this purpose;
3) "Blow-outs" generally happen because the pouch is too full (gas and/or waste);
4) I'm not sure that underwear with a swimming suit will help.

You might want to join a local ostomy chapter to see what other women do on some of these topics. I changed to Hollister as they have a pouch with a "mesh" outer layer (to minimize rustling noises). But I found that all of the suppliers' filter systems do NOT work (to release gas "politely") and they get soaked when you're swimming.

With regard to what to wear under your swimsuits, I'd suggest you continue with your previous attire. Before my surgery, I wore pleated pants as the extra material meant less pressure on my stoma (and I changed to boxer shorts). Those are the only changes to my wardrobe from my ostomy.

Don't let your stoma be the center of your world ...

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,485 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Family12

Hi PatinPidkering,

I thought that there was a wafer that you can put over the water like a waterproof one...so when you swim, you just go swimming and that's it as if there is nothing...I will try baby powder to see if this helps.

In my area or even in Montreal, QC I am not aware of any chapters. I would love to have one or go to a meeting, but I do not know of any.

Thank you

Mrs.A

Hi Family 12,

If you have a little time, here is a link for the United Ostomy Association of Canada. Hope maybe you can find a chapter near you.

http://www.ostomycanada.ca/

I don't get to go swimming much, but it makes sense that if we can shower with our pouch on, then we can swim as well. You may also enjoy this link as well to aid in more understanding.

http://www.ostomyguide.com/

CloudyRae

Google Ostomy Secrets. They have lots of items that will make your life easier, such as pouch covers that will absorb sweat and keep the bag away from the skin. They also have special undies, etc. Plus bathing suits or suit adaptors. We've purchased the boxer shorts for my husband and they are great. They have a bigger variety of items for women, though. Check them out.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
snowy100

When it gets hot out, I put a folded paper towel between my bag and my skin. It feels so much more comfortable. Good luck.

Mildred Rank

I cut washcloths in half and place them between the pouch and abdomen. When it gets damp, I place a new one on.

Dotsy

beatrice

So - I'm thinking you have a colostomy? I've got an ileostomy ... what I do will work for you.

For really sweaty times ... a sheet of paper towel between my bag and skin. My undies hold the paper in place. With a colostomy ... not sure how that would hold ... maybe a camisole?

For swimming - I wear a tankini. There are some with tops that are quite long. Choose one with a pattern (not solid color) and the bag is barely noticeable.

I use Sure Seal Rings - which are placed around the flange 'paper' area. And I put a piece of duct tape over the filter in my bag (maybe you're not using a bag with a filter)

If I'm going to be in the water often (say every day for awhile (vacation!) or into a hot tub ... then I also place Perma-Tye Security Strips around the edge of the Sure Seal Ring (where it meets my skin). Sounds like more tape than a hockey stick and may be overdone to some ... but I feel secure to the point that I don't think of my appliance at all.

I have never had a blow-out or leak. I'm in and out of pools and the ocean. And I know I'm cleaner than lots of the kids/peeps I see in pools - LOL!

Any questions - just ask. Have a good time in the water!

Fayemaxx

I place one sheet folded under the snap-on part. 3-ply is best!

Then 1a. Powder
2a. If itching. (hydrocortisone)

If there are any other suggestions, I would sure welcome hearing from them.

Thank you for the question.

honeygirl

I have an ileostomy. I also use the Sure Seals not just for swimming but all the time for extra protection against blowouts. They are wonderful!!! For swimming, this takes just a little bit of planning. I try not to eat just before I go to the beach or the pool. And I also take care not to eat anything too gaseous. I bought an ostomy wrap which I wear under my bathing suit (in my case, a one-piece which has ruching down one side to hide the bag). This goes around the waist and has pockets in it (to tuck your bag into) to keep your bag a little closer to you and also to prevent it from moving about too much if you are really active. There are swim wraps and also daytime wraps that give you extra support under dresses and skirts. Perhaps you are already using a panty with a pocket and in that case, you wouldn't need the wrap. Hope this helps.

MO_Susan

I have had my colostomy for one year. I have traveled extensively - several trips around the US - and to France and Mexico. I have done a lot of swimming in pools and in the ocean, and I get in our hot tub at home quite often.

I also use the tape barriers that are available from Coloplast. Sometimes I leave them on all week, especially if traveling. They work great. Just gives me additional confidence. I use a two-piece locking pouch system from Coloplast which I LOVE.

Before my first vacation trip, I got my swimsuits out, tried them on, and threw the ones where you could tell I had a colostomy in the charity pile. BTW, I also did this with all my other things - sundresses, t-shirts, blouses, pants, etc. One time and done. I normally wore loose and long tops so there wasn't much I had to give up.

I don't wear anything special when swimming, just my suit. I've never had a problem, even in really rough waves.

My approach has been to not limit myself. Whatever I did before, I will continue to do even if I have to find a solution. So far, this has been easy but it's much easier now that I'm done with chemo and I know my cycles. When I recently had to attend a couple of conferences and speak, I made sure to eat a very bland diet for a couple of days before (total bummer while I was in Cannes and Monte Carlo), but it was what I had to do to be in front of a lot of people in an auditorium with a microphone attached to my lapel -- Yikes! But it was fine.

I have only been stopped one time in airport screening, and it was by a young woman who asked if I had something in my pocket. I said, "No, I have an ostomy." She said, "Oh, OK. I had one for about six months when I was younger but was able to reverse it." What? I was shocked that the one time I was stopped was by someone who didn't even bat an eye.

Watch your diet the day before you plan to go swimming, find some barrier tape if you can, and have fun!