Managing partial bowel obstruction post-surgery: Seeking advice on diet and exercises.

Replies
Views
Chiquis

I just spent 4 days in the hospital after being diagnosed with a partial bowel obstruction. It sounds like this is a common occurrence with abdominal surgery. When my ileostomy was done, I had four surgeries and now have two hernias in addition to the ileostomy. I'm not looking forward to another bowel obstruction. I'm on a full liquid diet, chewing my food 20 times before swallowing, eating very slowly, and they told me I have to be more active. I'm seeing a new doctor on Tuesday and will be asking for a physical therapy referral. I haven't known what kind of exercises I can do. Does anyone else have comments on this subject that would be helpful to me? Such as diet advice? Thank you so much.

Cplumber

- Get to know your local WOC nurse. Surgeons and doctors mostly deal with pre-problems, WOC nurses deal with post-problems.

- Check out uoaa.org for more information and to get in contact with your local ostomy support groups.

- Look up the topic of blockages on this site; it comes up quite often.

- Check out this magazine: https://phoenixuoaa.org/

Good luck!

I will be praying for you.

Hope this helps.

Cplumber

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,529 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Chiquis
Reply to Cplumber

Thank you so much

Hermit

Lots of fluids and movement! I use an exercise bike! Wonder why you can eat anything with a colostomy and not with an ileostomy? So you don't have a colon! Why do you now have to watch food intake? Food goes down the same 25 feet of small intestine! I have had both surgeries and am about to go back to an ileostomy! I like to put my iPad on the exercise bike and watch medical videos on YouTube! I think it helps keep everything moving!

TerryLT

Hi Chiquis, I have an ileo and have suffered a bowel obstruction, so you have my sympathies. Your comments are a little confusing as you say you are on a totally liquid diet and that you are chewing your food 20 times. Did the hospital tell you to stay on a liquid diet? I don't see why you would need to. Eat slowly, chew really well, and drink lots of water, and I mean lots. I always have a big glass of water after I eat to help move things along and I continue to hydrate throughout the day. As far as exercise, I'm thinking they are just advising you to be more active, not any specific exercise. Walking is terrific and it will also help your digestive system to work better. You can do any number of other exercises if you feel up to it, but just be very cautious about abdominal ones. As far as diet is concerned, I would stay away from anything that you can't break down easily in your mouth, things like certain fruit or veggie peels, and fibrous foods. You need to chew things until they are like a soft pulp in your mouth, no noticeable lumps or pieces. Good luck.

Terry

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Chiquis
Reply to TerryLT

Thank you, Terry. That's very informative. I'm on basically a pureed diet now, and I'm slowly advancing it. I am now eating much slower and having more frequent meals rather than three regular meals. I'm also trying to drink a lot more water. I see my new doctor tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to the insights that she might provide. Thank you again. Greatly appreciated.

Lily17

Hello, Chiquis

You've received some very good advice from other members here. I would also recommend seeing a dietician who can give you guidance on what foods are better than others to help avoid the dreaded blockage. I've had them myself, unfortunately. My first blockage, 16 months after my ileostomy surgery, landed me in the emergency room because the radiating pain was mimicking a possible heart attack.

You'll find many other dietary recommendations from the membership if you search this site: sip, sip, sip, chew, chew, chew (from my own GI surgeon Day 1 after my surgery!), high-fiber, low-fiber, soft-cooked veggies, raw salads, mushrooms, no mushrooms... "Individual results may vary."

It may take some experimenting when adding new items to your diet, but start low (volume) and slow (eating) with a lot of fluids, and you will find what works best for you.

Be well!

Lily17

Chiquis
Reply to Hermit

It apparently has to do with adhesions and scar tissue. They can block the food going through. That's what the docs at the hospital told me.

I have an exercise bike. I just have to get on it. Lol

Past Member

Hi, Chiquis, I've had several and most were after release from the hospital. The very first thing to do IMHO is to walk every time you eat. I was hurting and exhausted after a hospital stay and sat in my comfy chair for too long. I didn't walk much after eating and I think that this contributed to the blockage. I would avoid a lot of red meat, harder to digest and seems to just sit there for a long time before passing through. After the last blockage, I became a big fan of Ramen Noodles (these little packets feed a huge number of people in poor countries). You don't have to use the Flavor pack that's included. I mix up my own stir fry type of sauce which I mix in with some soft-cooked veggies. One or two boiled eggs, a little bit of leftover chicken, and presto....dinner! The main thing is that it's fast. Do not boil Ramen Noodles!! It ruins them since they are already cooked and dried. Simply boil water and pour over the noodles while adding your other ingredients. I could live on Noodle Bowls!! Also, it makes a really cheap but healthy meal, so good for your budget!! The food is all fairly soft and breaks down quickly and without cramping that I get from meat, don't really eat much meat. With my town having the best Salmon river in Europe, my favorite food is Salmon. I can get a fresh whole Salmon for about ten Euros (11). I could eat Salmon 7 days a week!!

One time my intestines just went Splat!! and collapsed, like letting the air out of a balloon. The Intestine Tube flattens on top of itself. This was a very difficult and dangerous event because they could not get it back into its natural Tube form. I was on TPN for probably weeks... I weighed about 70 pounds at the end, lost half my weight. This only happened once and was a bit of a freak incident.

So walking after any food is essential and just a five-minute stroll will work wonders. Avoid hard (obviously!!) crusty food like Pizza Crust, red meat in small amounts, and lots of fluids while eating. Also, you should not sit in a scrunched-up position and stretch out as flat as possible. One scary one was after eating a store-bought Apple... they are just full of pulp and I was stretched out on my sister's couch for three days until suddenly the dam burst. I must have emptied five times in one hour!!! My patience paid off!! I can eat the Apples from my own Apple Trees, any homegrown without pesticides or fertilizer getting near the fruit. I never use pesticides for any reason... it kills all the good creatures. I still recommend staying away from Apples altogether, Pears are much better. I have a Pear tree in my little garden and I eat those no problem.

I hope you get something from my ramblings, Chiquis, and the best of luck for the future.

Eamon

Past Member
Reply to Chiquis

Mine is currently my clothes rack in the bedroom. LOL

Chiquis
Reply to Lily17

Thank you so much for those very insightful comments. I think a dietitian is a good idea. You're right, I have been told high fiber since the beginning and now I'm on a low fiber regimen. Thanks again.

Chiquis
Reply to Anonymous

Thank you so much. Entertaining as well. Merijane