Eating corn on the cob with a colostomy: experiences and advice?

Replies
Views
redeye

I had my colostomy back in '63, the only thing that seems to be worse for me is pasta sauce. Corn, like someone without an ostomy, seems to only digest a little. I just chew my corn a little more.

redeye

I had my colostomy back in '63, the only thing that seems to be worse for me is pasta sauce. Corn, like someone without an ostomy, seems to only digest a little. I just chew my corn a little more.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,748 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT
Reply to redeye

Yeah, pasta and/or the sauce is pretty interesting on how fast I can fill my bag.

yaya

Hi. I'm a Nebraska gal. If you're like me, sometimes I have to have corn on the cob.
Just as a heads up...it comes out the way it goes in so I generally limit myself to an ear or a half of an ear. Salads don't bother me but remember to chew well. You might want to limit both these foods at first to see how your ostomy responds. Take care

AlexT
Reply to yaya

I knew I wasn't the only one living the Good Life.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Jaemac

Unlike the other responders, I cannot eat corn on the cob because my colostomy is very narrow and any kernel could block it easily. I do eat salads every day and love them, I'm just careful what I add. I also can't do mushrooms as they don't digest either. I think if you don't have any unusual problems with your colostomy (mine is very unusual, not only very narrow but also pulled into my body and convex). So, be careful and chew WELL. Do you have an Ostomy nurse you could ask who knows your condition specifically? Good luck, I sure hope you get corn back as I totally miss it, that and raw carrots with dip!

SiriusK9

So I have had my ileostomy since I was 9 years old in 1973, and I basically eat whatever I want. But because I'm also limited on the chewing aspect due to 35 TMJ jaw surgeries and have had 10 total TMJ joints, I do have to be careful how much foods that cause bulk/roughage like fiber, potatoes, lettuce, corn, apple skins, etc. that makes your output really thick and/or cause a partial or complete bowel obstructions.

As an FYI, corn on the cob or corn off the cob, the kernel will come "out" the same way as you swallowed it, as any normal person without an ostomy will also have corn in their "output" as well. In that if you don't chew it that much then you will see most of the kernel, if you chew it a lot you will see smaller size kernel. Same thing with lettuce, it will show up in your bag as just the way you swallowed it, as these are plants/veggies, and we cannot break down the cell walls in these types of foods.

So if you eat a lot of roughage or foods that cause thickening or bulking of your output like corn, lettuce, potatoes, you could potentially lead up to several scenarios... #1 the seal of your barrier on your skin could be compromised and you'll get leakage and that can be a nasty mess; or #2 you could have partial or complete bowel obstructions which is not good! A partial obstruction is where some output in bag but you'll either get liquid output or very little and you can feel bloated and pain, a complete blockage is VERY serious and you will have no output and you'll start to have huge cramps and vomiting green bile! Must go to ER asap as it's a life-threatening situation.

Also, if you drink alcohol, you must drink it slower and drink water between your next glass/can, etc. as you can dehydrate very quickly causing another life-threatening issue...

Also beware of certain medications that can cause issues with people that have ostomies, like antibiotics...

john.q.ghost

I have had an ileostomy for ten years now, and I enjoy quite a lot of corn-on-the-cob each summer. I have spaghetti often as well with no issue, and while I do make it a point to chew uncooked vegetables sufficiently, I enjoy salads often as well with no issues. I don't know how it might be different for people with a colostomy, or even maybe other people with an ileostomy. But, I'm just telling you from my experience. Hopefully, this raises your spirits a bit in terms of enjoying a variety of meals going forward. Actually, I have to say, maybe I got lucky with a good surgeon, but I'd say I have fewer issues with things I eat and drink than I did before the ileostomy.

Oldostomate
Reply to SheColonostmy

Just take it easy at first and chew really well, I wouldn't eat much of anything new in large portions, dip the toe in the pool. You are right when you say everyone is different. I have an ileostomy, coming up on a year old, my second one, and even it is different than the first one. Good luck!

jghandymann20

I eat corn all the time but in moderation. It's not the corn itself that can clog you but the juice from the corn. I wouldn't eat it with a salad or something that can form a dam inside your colon. I take long hot showers when I get clogged.

Doe1mama
Reply to HenryM

Good to know. My husband has a new ileostomy and I guess we just add corn to the try slowly list.

Doe1mama
Reply to AlexT

My husband has issues with too much water. He needs the water due to the ileostomy, but then his sodium drops into the 20s so they put him on fluid restriction when he was discharged from the hospital. They put him on salt tablets, but we seem to be doing better with high sodium food. It's a crazy catch-22.

William15

Hi there

If you are hesitant about eating corn on the cob, but would still like corn in your diet, why not try fresh baby corn? I frequently buy supplies of the small thin pointed baby corn variety. I mostly chop them into crouton-sized pieces and boil/steam them, fry in garlic puree or other sauces or dressings and use in soups and salads, or for snacking.

In terms of mushrooms, some ostomates express reservations about eating them, however I'm OK with them, but I also make mushroom pate, which is so easy to make, and you can make it to a consistency and texture that suits you.

If you are a veggie fan, you might find that the parsnip suits you -- taste and digestive-wise. You can boil, steam, mash or bake them to a texture you are happy with, they absorb sauces really well, and for me, have a good impact digestive and output-wise.

Best

W

Homie With A Stomie NS

Great question! As a former Ontarian, I am also craving that buttery, salted corn on the cob.... I'm 3 months in with my ostomy, going to give it a go.....I only avoid seeds and nuts as they don't break down.....Remember, water is your friend and chew, chew, chew... Thank you to mates who responded as well.

Homie With A Stomie NS

Great question and awesome answers, gang.... As a former Ontarian, I also crave that buttery salted cob..... I'm only 3 months in with ostomy. The only thing I avoid is seeds, nuts, and pickles as they don't break down..... Just remember, water is your friend and chew, chew. Give it a try. This is a learning curve for sure!!!!

Superme

Mommabear, it's a good thing to take it slow when having a new ostomy. Chew, chew, chew, and lots of water is true, but also small doses at a time. You can eat anything, including pickles, nuts, mushrooms, etc. It's almost like training your stoma. Be good to it, and it will be good to you.

Superme

Mommabear, it's a good thing to take it slow when having a new ostomy. Chew, chew, chew, and lots of water is true, but also small doses at a time. You can eat anything, including pickles, nuts, mushrooms, etc. It's almost like training your stoma. Be good to it, and it will be good to you. Mike

Homie With A Stomie NS
Reply to Superme

Awesome, thank you.... I have been trying that, bumping up as I go.

yaya

Hi. I live in Nebraska, corn is delightful around here. I don't eat as much corn on the cob as I would like, but I do eat 1/2 to 1 ear of corn and that's about all I can justify. Corn comes out exactly as it goes in. Love popcorn. Salads, I was careful with at first, but now eat any kind without issue. Your body adjusts and so will you. I'm 12 years out on this journey but I'm still learning! Thanks to all my ostomates.

golfnutrgn47
Reply to HenryM

Hello

I don't eat corn on the cob. It is very hard to digest and comes out that way in stool. It has no value other than starch, so it's not worth the risk of plugging me up. As far as salad goes, iceberg and romaine lettuce, tomatoes, cut up zucchini, etc. are fine. Avoid kale. I do not eat large amounts of any food, but I avoid fruits with insoluble skins such as apple skins, grapes, and raisins, only in small amounts.

I avoid all insoluble fiber. Oatmeal seems fine as it's soluble. I eat a lot of yogurt. If you can drink it, kombucha is a good source of prebiotics too. It's too sour for this guy. You can eat legumes such as beans if you swallow two Beano first; it cuts down gas very well.

I have never had a blockage or had to flush my stoma in the 6 plus years of having it. Also, I have a very flat one which may help in that matter.

Last tip: If my output starts to get too thick, I drink a couple of beers and it takes me back to a better output to manage. I think wine would probably do the same as it is probably the alcohol that helps, not sure on that though.

My favorite snack is a rice cake with a cheese slice or cream cheese, etc.

Hope this is helpful to someone.

TerryLT

I've never had a problem with corn, but as mentioned by many, I do chew really well, and yes, it does come out the way it went in, but the point is that it does come out, right? It has never caused me a blockage or any discomfort. I also eat mushrooms, lots of them, raw or cooked. They are one of my favorite veggies.

Terry