Advice for Ileostomy Runners: Hydration, Bag, and Tips?

Replies
Views
Ostoed

Hello. I am still getting used to my stoma and have started running again. Slowly.

And was wondering what your setup was like? Hydration, what bag? Any tips or advice?

All being well, I hope to do a long distance at some point later in the year.

Thanks,

Eddie

HenryM

Hiya Eddie.  I've aged out of it now, but I spent most of my middle years running with my ileostomy, got up to about 25 mi. a week at one point in the Eighties.  I never had to take any special precautions, never wore any kind of support belt, just underwear.  Ran two 10Ks in my early seventies.  I'm sure that I could run now if I made the extra effort, but I'm satisfied with walking.  Good luck.  HenryM

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,529 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ostoed

Hey Henry. I am probably overthinking things. I went for my first run today with just a hernia support belt which made me feel more secure and it went well!

Bill

Hello Ostoed.

I, like Henry, used to run but age and a severe heart attack followed by a triple bypass put paid to that. I still walk and cycle and have never had any problems regarding the stoma. 

As with any exercise,  the wise will take their time and build up to their peak, rather than overdoing it at the beginning. 

Best of luck

Bill

Justbreathe

I wish I could say I too was a runner, but not so. Good advice from runners though - take care! JB

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
SallyK
Reply to Justbreathe

LOL, I only run now if a bear is chasing me.

AlexT
Reply to HenryM

All your neighbors are glad you wore underwear.

Bees

Eddie: I have started to run again, well a little. I had my ostomy surgery last November. So far, just short distances, like 2 or 3 miles, and I use a support belt. My biggest concern on longer runs would be hydration. I last ran a marathon in 2018. That was pre-ostomy, however. Don't know if I'll get there again.

I could be wrong, but I believe the Stealth Belt originated for a young marathoner who had an ostomy and wanted to continue running.

Bruce

AlexT
Reply to Bees

I have a stealth belt on right now. Quality product and works well.

Ostoed
Reply to SallyK

Maybe a new fitness trend. Bear running.

"I can't run?"

"I can help you....release the bears!"

RUN!

"I lost nearly a stone with the new bear running program! I also lost my friend Steve..."

AlexT
Reply to Ostoed

A sport where you don't have to be the fastest to win, you just can't be the slowest.

SallyK
Reply to AlexT

So true. I would definitely be the bear's dinner.

SallyK

Welcome Eddie.

I just had to read your post. I was very curious as to what an 'ileostomy runner' is. LOL Thought it was a new device of some sort.

TerryLT
Reply to SallyK

You know that is exactly the wrong thing to do, right?!!?

AlexT
Reply to TerryLT

Not if you're faster than anyone you're running with.

TerryLT
Reply to AlexT

True!!

NOLA Lady

Stealth Belt for sure for bag security and comfort, no chafing of bag rubbing against skin. I do not run, but I do work out with weights and Zumba. Baby steps. Just keep electrolytes in check. Glad you are not letting your stoma stop you from getting back to life.