Ostomy Memories of Club Sandwiches

Replies
Views
HenryM

THERE WAS A TIME, LONG SINCE PASSED, when I measured my life’s good moments by club sandwiches.  It was my favorite treat, and healthy to boot.  No eating establishment could be classified as decent unless their menu included a good club sandwich.  “A club sandwich, please,” I would tell the waitress, “on lightly toasted white bread.”  Being a club sandwich aficionado, I looked down on hamburger people.  That was too plebeian, too common.  There was one of those Forties era drug stores near my house in Miami, the kind with a long lunch counter and stools, that had a great club sandwich.  I would save money from my paper route earnings and, when I had something to celebrate – if I didn’t have anything special, I’d invent something – I’d go there and, affecting my best grown up countenance, order myself a club sandwich.   The gal behind the counter got to know me.  I was maybe twelve years old, and so I flirted with her in my awkward, pre-pubescent way.  She humored me, of course, and even teased me a little bit, which set off the sort of fantasies that could even overcome the memory of a good club sandwich.  In my memory now, warped and distorted over time, I think that she bore a striking resemblance to Elizabeth Taylor.  Memory is such a crucial instrument of personal comfort and survival.

TerryLT

Well, I hate to burst your bubble Henry, but calling a club sandwich 'healthy' may be a stretch! I mean, who needs three pieces of bread? And white bread at that! Three different kinds of meat seems a little over the top and ham and bacon are both processed meats, not good! The tomato and lettuce may be the sandwich's only redeeming quality! I grew up eating a lot of stuff that we now know is not that good for us. Sometimes I think I'm still around in spite of the diet I had, not because of it!

Terry

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,487 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

HenryM
Reply to TerryLT

Like you say, my dear, we eat a lot of crapola 'cause it tastes good, irrespective of the lack of nutritional value.  I suppose my reference to club sandwiches as being healthy was an example of grading on the curve.  Perhaps I ought to try downing those wonderful Twizzlers with lettuce and tomato.

Homie With A Stomie NS

Love them clubs, no tomatoes. Extra meat, please... Another to try to my growing allowed list...

TerryLT
Reply to HenryM

Oh, yeah, that should ease your conscience! And maybe I'll have a glass of carrot juice with my piece of chocolate cake tonight!

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
SallyK
Reply to TerryLT

Sounds yummy.