Advice for Preparing for Colostomy Reversal: Seeking Tips

Replies
Views
Past Member

Looking for advice. I ruptured my colon due to diverticulitis three months ago while on vacation. Had emergency surgery and they took out about 8 inches of my sigmoid colon via Hartmann's procedure. My vacation souvenir was a lovely colostomy bag.

I was told there was a 95% chance of successful reversal after 6 months but I'd have to consult with a surgeon when I got back home. Found a surgeon and he said I'd be good to go with reversal in 4 months, which is now one month away.

I want to prepare as much as I can so it goes as smoothly as possible and recovery goes well. I don't know if anyone would still be in this forum after a successful reversal but if there is anyone, I'd welcome any advice or tips. Thank you in advance.

eefyjig

Field, I have no advice since I had my whole colon removed and a J-pouch created, then a permanent ostomy when the J-pouch wasn't working well but I wanted to say that is awesome for you! My surgeon for all four of my surgeries was with Mt. Sinai in NYC and he was awesome. Best of luck!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,485 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Thanks. Best to you, too.

AlexT

Another poor soul going to the dark side. Hope everything goes perfectly for you.

patrickrichardson1946

Hi Field, my wife had an ileostomy for 6 months then had a successful reversal so stay positive and kiss your pouch goodbye. Patrick

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Delsol93

Hi Field,

I'm in the same boat. December will be my 6 months, so I'm going through the checks now to ensure it's possible. Like a colonoscopy to check everything out. Good luck to you. I'm looking forward to saying goodbye to mine.

Past Member

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. Had reversal 5 days ago and doing well. There's sharp burning pain around the stoma site when moving in some directions and I'm dealing with constipation. Drinking a lot of water, eating oatmeal and walking as much as possible have been helpful with that. But so glad to be moving beyond all of this. Good luck to all of you, wherever you are on this journey.

Past Member
Reply to patrickrichardson1946

It's gone! Surgery went well and memories of the bag are fading fast. What a relief to be done with that.

elledubuque

Hey Field,

Maybe try Calms? It's a magnesium powder that you put in hot water like a tea. It's good for Rolodex brain like I have and also works as a laxative.

I can't take it now because it makes my colostomy too liquidy and I miss slowing my brain down. I've bought it at Target, Amazon, Sprouts and HEB - go Texas.

Im booked for reversal 11.16. We should come back and check in on each other!

Question - did they make you do a barium enema CT scan before surgery? That's coming up for me and I have no idea what to expect.