3 Years Post-Surgery: A Journey of Growth and Gratitude

Replies
Views
Franicaa

So... 3 years ago today was the day I got taken into theatre, only to wake up 7 hours later with an ileostomy - something I had never heard of before then.

All I can remember of that day was waking up ridiculously early in the hospital bed. I could barely hold my own weight, I'd been bed-bound for longer than I could remember and in hospital being pumped with drugs for 2 weeks. I was given IV antibiotics like Metronidazole, Ciprofloxacin, and Tazocin. I was given IV fluids because I couldn't eat. I was even given IV Ciclosporin, perhaps one of the strongest immunosuppressants around these days, all in the hopes that I wouldn't need surgery. Anyway, I woke up on the morning of the 10th so early, and hobbled straight to the toilet. I remember being in the worst pain of my life, my mum was in the hospital with me, staying in my room to keep me company, I remember waking her up by the sound of my struggling from the hospital bed, a few feet to the toilet dragging my drip stands along with me. She rang the nurses' button and they came in to start my painkillers for the day. I was drifting in and out of sleep for the whole day and by about 10 o'clock in the morning the doctor rushed in, at which point I was on the toilet again, and I will never forget what he said... I needed to be rushed into theatre to have my colon removed immediately. If I waited another day there's no telling if I'd have made it.

Anyway, I don't wanna go on about all the details and all the bad stuff.

I really wanted to write this blog as a kind of "milestone" blog. It's been 3 years since that day and probably the 3 hardest years I'll ever have to deal with in my life. I feel it changed me as a person, I had only just turned 16 when it all happened and now I'm 19 and I feel like I grew up much quicker than my friends, but honestly I don't think that matters.

Today I was at work, and this week I'm meeting an ostomate, I have some loving friends and a lovely boyfriend and right now life hasn't seemed so good. I've never felt more healthy, and even though I have days where I wish it had never happened, I've never felt more comfortable with who I am and what I look like. Before my operation, I couldn't remember a day where I felt fine and had no pain and didn't have to rush to the toilet every few hours, and now I'm back to better than normal!

Woohoo!

littlewheel

Woohoo is right! Live life to the fullest, now that you can.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,493 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

pussycat

What an amazing, refreshing young lady you are. I'm sure this blog will be really reassuring to many young and old alike. Keep it up, kindest regards, Marilyn

Past Member

So young and so wise - I am so glad that your life is now full of positivity - enjoy! Best wishes, Jenny

J.J.

=) So glad you're here!!!... What a milestone.. And many more positive ones to come, I hope!!

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Cecille

Same thing happened to me on July 7th, 2009! Which hospital were you in?

Jupiter

Feeling healthy, that's wonderful.

Franicaa

Worthing Hospital but I had a few treatments at St. Mark's in Harrow :)