Alternatives to Benadryl for Itching Relief

Replies
Views
knitter
Jun 10, 2023 3:44 pm

Benadryl makes me sleepy, so I don't really want to take it during the day. Any other suggestions for relieving the itching with a pouch?

AlexT
Jun 10, 2023 5:01 pm

Is the adhesive causing a reaction, making it itch? Mine itches sometimes, but usually, mine is from me shaving my stoma area or the wrap I use while at work.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,886 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Longroad78
Jun 13, 2023 6:26 am

If you're getting itching from the ostomy supplies and it is not from the skin irritation when removing and cleaning the area between changes, you might have a small allergic reaction to the product. Right now, I have to take it every 24 hours because I started having
Dermatographia 2 months ago. Allegra and Claritin block histamine like Benadryl but do not cause drowsiness and, according to my doctor, are not as bad on the body. There are cost-saving generic versions of these on the market at most big brand stores. I get the Allegra version bottle from Costco. If it is skin irritation itch, a small ice pack works great to calm things down.