Bariatric Surgery After Ostomy: Seeking Advice

Replies
Views
colenemcclard

Hello friends!

It's been a long time since I've been on here, I must apologize. I took a long break from all social media.

Question/thoughts regarding bariatric surgery after having an ostomy or ileostomy for some time.

Background: I didn't have my colon surgeries as many do, at a very thin weight. I had the beginnings of a small chubby tire around my middle, below my belly button, when I had my colon removed in Dec 2021 and a Proctectomy in April 2022. After having the surgeries and feeling better stomach/colon wise, I ate a lot! Because I could and had missed out on so many delicious meals. I also have never really had a "Full Stomach Button" in my life that I've always battled. And of course with menopause/hormones and a bit of emotional eating, I have gained quite a bit of weight.

The weight around that belly area, or tire, is severe, seriously, like a short floaty innertube. My stoma is in the middle of the curve of it, just to the side of my belly button, at a sharp fat curve- no other way to say it. This leads to any adhesive/bag appliance I try to not last long, sometimes only half a day. The problem is, on the appliance, any adhesive area and stoma hole is on a straight edge. When adhered on my sharp curved area where my stoma is, simple movements of bending to pick up something, twisting while in a chair/standing, walking for lengths of time such as at a fair, walking the dog, trying to exercise, leads to leaks because an appliance and seal can't withstand my skin's fat tire curve while it is being stretched in all different directions. Of course, as you all know, many leaks lead to skin irritation, bleeding and sometimes infections. I've been basically homebound, can't even work at a job and my once very happy, positive attitude has gone away and I was faking that nothing was wrong for the longest time...until I reached the "enough is enough" mindset.

Yes, in case you want to suggest it, I've tried SO MANY different kinds of appliances, different brands, called each brand and explained my situation, been sent so many samples and so many times repeating they don't work and on and on, it's exhausting.

My weight is over the 35 BMI index and I need to lose weight of course for health reasons, being able to get back to my active lifestyle, enjoy my two new grandbabies and not have the constant leaking. I want to make a lifestyle change and am ready to do so.

My primary doctor referred me to a Bariatric Center. I had my initial consultation and was surprised to find out I am a candidate for bariatric surgery. There are several meds I could go on that don't interfere with my other medications or stoma output, but all have many side effects and could take a year to reach 40 lbs down....which doesn't help me with the 80-90 lbs I would be comfortable to lose and a good fit with my short height. Remember, I need to lose weight so my leaks stop so I can get a job.

Long story to get to this point. Has anyone had any type of bariatric surgery after they had an ostomy or ileostomy and how did it go? Any pros/cons or suggestions please?

Thank you for listening to this encyclopedia! I appreciate any information!

Colene

Hairdresser

Hello

Welcome back. Have you tried a weight loss program (Weight Watchers, Nutrisystem, Overeaters Anonymous)? If not, try one of those first before you go under the knife. You will see changes sooner than the other way.

I wish you nothing but success and good health.

God bless

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,713 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

1) Have you changed what/how you eat?
2) Are you exercising to whatever extent you can?

Are you sure you're ready for all the extra skin you'll have with dramatic weight loss? If you're not willing to change 1 and 2, you will have problems after the surgery. The surgery will make you lose weight, but there are side effects and if you won't change your lifestyle it's not a long-term fix.

Maried

Losing weight takes time and a lot of thought about what you are eating and how much you are moving. And what will you do about replacing the happiness/joy you feel when eating? Find a hobby you love...consider joining Weight Watchers first. Slower route but a good learning experience.

Cplumber

Having surgery is never a good idea. Maybe finding someone that lives in your area that has been through similar experiences that you have could help. I know this site has a way to search for people in your state and even in your say metro area that can relate to your circumstances. That could even be handsome and funny #justsaying.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
JustGigi1967

Hi! I noticed that you live in Massachusetts. I have my colostomy as a direct result of bariatric surgery preparation. Many centers have specific weight loss plans that they want you to follow. The plan that I was put on was not supervised by a nutritionist...so my first piece of advice is speak to a nutritionist and ask them to help you develop a weight loss plan that is designed for your unique situation.

Many bariatric centers have in-person support groups that are excellent ways to meet folks in your corner of the Bay State. The center's social worker may be able to connect you with a local person who'll be better able to answer specific questions.

Oh! Before I forget, please, please research your surgeon. There are several places that I would recommend to my worst enemy.

colenemcclard
Reply to Hairdresser

Hello, yes, I've tried 4! I may lose 15 lbs but then plateau, then gain. Supervised by my primary. My hormones are also extreme due to menopause....but great question! I forgot to mention it in my post! Thank you

colenemcclard
Reply to Cplumber

Hi there, you're always delightful! Great to hear from you! Hope all is well and family is doing great! Are you doing the camp trip again this summer? I just had my first two grandchildren, exactly 2 months apart - such blessings and precious! Keep in touch!

Grumpy

I was 360 lbs when I became ill with cancer. I was 290 and happy, finally losing weight and not hungry and feeling normal when diagnosed, and I was 225 by surgery. I healed and started to worry about my nutrition because I was never hungry and too full with about 25% of what I was accustomed to eating. Soon as I started taking an extra bit or snacking, I put weight back on. I am back to 300 lbs and have a parastomal hernia now. My only success path is to get down to a normal weight and stay there. You are like me. You have conditions regardless of what they are that won't allow you to keep it off, so do not hesitate to go for a medical alternative. I just finished all 4 months of prep for a bariatric sleeve to be told I am too high risk. Now I am in line for the injections. You may want to ask about that as well. Your curved area for the appliance was my issue as well. Coloplast makes a nice secure flange called Mio convex flip. I am getting 4 to 5 days wear time and never have to change because of odor.

Mark1
Reply to Hairdresser

I wish you all the success in the world