Seeking Solutions for Airflow Around Stoma

Replies
Views
Ostomy4life_22

Hello all you awesome people!!!

So this inquiring mind needs to know what some of you do to get air to your skin around the stoma? I was telling myself, wouldn't it be great if there was something that a person with an ostomy could use over their stoma so air can get to the skin for let's say overnight or something. And if there is something, please let me know.

Thank you for being awesome and helpful with all my questions.

Mindy

Cplumber

Nothing I have heard of, I have had a wafer on my skin for 25 years, I wear my appliance set up for 7 to 14 days. When I do my change, I wash and dry thoroughly with antibacterial soap and hot water. If I have any problems or slight breakdowns, I cover it with 3M no-sting spray. My skin under my barrier looks great. Now do I wish I could sleep naked with no appliance? Yup, but that would be a literal shit show. Someone needs to invent a bed with a hole in it so I can sleep on my stomach with a bucket underneath. It will be interesting to see the other replies and what products and things are out there.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,517 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Justbreathe

No overnight baggie - Wow - that would certainly be a little slice of heaven. I don't think even MacGyver could solve that problem, but(t) you never know somewhere out there might be just the genius to invent it - "heads up" Bill Bob get on this will ya? ;jb

Ostomy4life_22
Reply to Cplumber

I will have to look into this spray that you are talking about. And as you do, I wish I could sleep on my stomach again.

Ostomy4life_22
Reply to Justbreathe

It would be so great if there was something like that. That doesn't need a wafer attached to it anymore. For at least just overnight.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Ben38

You would just have to go bare back and have no bag on or 1 very large wafer so you could cut a hole out to miss the skin your usual size wafer attaches to. I know some do like to air there skin for an hour or so when changing but for myself I've had an ileostomy for over 30 years and never had any need to airmy skin the sooner mines bagged back up again the better as its always naughty when bag free, never had any skin issues except for the occasional sore patch we all get at times then I just treat it with sudocrem

TerryLT

Airing the skin out overnight! One can dream!

Terry

Ostomy4life_22
Reply to Ben38

I had an ileostomy for 17 years so I can relate to the hurry and cover plan. I hope that maybe in the future, someone or something can be done to allow us to get air to the skin.

w30bob

Well, from what I've read, if you're a colostomate, you can irrigate and not need to wear your barrier for a decent amount of time. But I don't know all the details on that, as I'm not one. Bill is the expert on that subject, so over to him. For ileostomates, there's not much that can be done that would allow us to be barrier-free for any length of time. That being said, you could buy a foam mattress and cut a hole in it, line the hole with a plastic bag, and sleep over the hole without a barrier on. Just replace your box spring with plank boards to support the foam mattress and leave a hole where the mattress hole aligns. It'll be up to you to remember not to roll off that hole in the mattress during the night or get up and get a drink of water or pee. Getting up in the morning will also be a challenge, as you'll need to reinstall a barrier first thing. So all that being said, it is possible to air out your stoma site, but not very practical. For those like bobc with a urostomy, which I know nothing about, couldn't you get a catheter with a bulb end on it to stick into your stoma and let it drain overboard into a container while you slept? Ah, the joys of being an ostomate...

;O)

BaoBoo

Skin break is let my stoma have a natural breathing without the pouch cover and watching TV when I can

Also change the whole system time after a shower for at least 30 mins without covering.

Most times the taped area is so itchy and hair pull out cause redness.

Sleeping still needs cover, but I buy the intimacy bag, same size. But the pouch bag way more small.. It is designed during sex, I use Convertac brand and can wash many times you want and not feeling between your inner thighs.

Justbreathe
Reply to w30bob

Ahhh - great minds think alike - only instead of a hole in the mattress, I envisioned one of those donut pillows (used for hemmies) but quickly realized it would duplicate all the problems you suggested and it would actually just be a gigantic version of our beloved bags! Just bag it and move on - I, for one, am very appreciative of all the great options we currently have for these blow holes!

anyark

Hi,

When I change my appliance, I sit on my bed, against my headboard, on a beach towel. I let my skin breathe for as close to 30 minutes as I have time for. I have paper towels, a garbage bag, and a bowl of water. I keep one paper towel right below my stoma for anything that pops out. I agree that it's important to let our skin breathe. Oh, I usually change in the morning when there's less poop coming out.

w30bob
Reply to Justbreathe

Agreed. Despite my constant bitching about it... it sure could be a lot worse. Imagine if they stuck the friggin' bag to our ass!

;O)

ahynes111
Reply to Ostomy4life_22

I read on a post maybe on this site where ostomates sleep on their stomach! Don't ask me how! I was cautious even wearing a swimming suit as it would be snug around the appliance.

RoanokeVirginiaArmyBrat
Reply to Cplumber

I can only sleep on my back, which I've never done before Bertie (stoma) came into my life. For some reason, Bertie fills up with air during the night, along with a lot of waste. I wake up extra early because Bertie gets heavy on my stomach.

OstoMike

Long-time ostomate here... I purchased this from Amazon, laid down and cut a hole where my stoma is, then put a garbage can underneath.... BOOM! Air that spitter out!

REDCAMP XXL Folding Camping Cot for Adults 500lbs, Large Heavy Duty Extra Wide Sleeping Cots Portable for Camp Office Use, Gray 79''x33.5''

Bertha
Reply to Ben38

Does the Sudocrem not stop the pouch sticking to one's skin?

kittybou
Reply to w30bob

Bubble butt??? Rofl. Sorry.🤭