Hartmann Reversal: Laparoscopic or Open?

Replies
Views
Dogen\'s bag

Going in for Hartmann reversal, my surgeon would like to do it laparoscopically but apparently I have a "narrow pelvis" so she may have to do the incision again. Being a planned surgery, I thought I would be less nervous but my mind is racing with everything that could go wrong so thought to post here to alleviate a bit of that, :-)

Funny how writing and posting can be a relief.

That is all. I hope you all have a fantastic day.

:-)

Rose Bud 🌹

Good luck with everything!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,485 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Dogen\'s bag
Reply to Rose Bud 🌹

Thank you very much, Ms. Bud. :-)

Caz67

Good luck with the surgery. xx

Dogen\'s bag
Reply to Caz67

Thank you, :-)

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Mysterious Mose

Good luck to you. I find out on the 14th as to whether my surgery can be done and the likelihood of opening the zipper. My hope is for that not to be the case. I wish the same for you!

Daniel

Celia1552

Wishing you a successful surgery and quick healing!

Syd34

Good luck with everything. I am due for a Hartmann's reversal too. I have an appointment with my surgeon early in September to discuss the possible date for the operation. Please let me know how you get on. I'll be grateful if you let me know. Thanks

Axl

It's very easy to beat yourself up during the wait, it's human nature, all the best guys.

I hope you get all you wish for.

Axl

Newhere

Good luck with your surgery, I am going in for the same on August 3rd. So I understand your feeling.

Stay strong Bill.

jeanneskindle

Sending you positive vibes!

SallyK

Everything will be okay.

MoeMoe

Good luck, wishing you a speedy recovery!

eefyjig

Wishing you the best outcome and speedy healing!

ron in mich

Wishing all good luck with surgeries and speedy recovery.

bumblebeebob9

Your surgery will be just fine. Relax and remember that a positive attitude will even speed up your recovery. Best wishes.

Dogen\'s bag
Reply to Syd34

Hi Syd,

I'll write up my experiences from surgery through my hospital stay and whatever happens after. More than happy to share!

Dogen\'s bag

Thank you all so much. It's a little overwhelming receiving such support from this group.

I truly thank you, :-)

jenny147

You've got this!!! Just start thinking about all the things you want to do when home and healed.

CrappyColon

I hear you with the whole planned surgery thing and the time you have to overthink it beforehand. For the surgery itself, I tell myself, "This is the easy part for me. I get to sleep through it while the surgeon and everyone else make their that day." Then my work really starts once awake. You'll be on the other side of this before you know it.

Beachboy

Big decision for sure. Consulted recently with my surgeon about reversing my end colostomy. After much thought, I decided to keep the bag. The main reason? Even if the takedown surgery is successful, future bowel movements could cause more problems than staying with the bag. I would love to be normal again, but undergoing more surgery with possibly a dismal outcome is a risk I'm unwilling to take.

Good luck and God bless. Let us know what happens.

Dogen\'s bag
Reply to CrappyColon

You are so right! I just sleep and look forward to what's next!

This time around I bought some noise cancelling headphones for the hospital stay. I'm oddly looking forward to several hours of uninterrupted Spotify. :-)

john.m.schmidt1

Wishing you the best of luck and a speedy recovery!

Dogen\'s bag
Reply to john.m.schmidt1

Thank you :-)

Daughter

Sending prayers your way!! Hoping your reversal surgery goes well and a quick recovery!!!

CrappyColon

Dogen\'s bag

Hi all!

What was to be a two-hour surgery turned into 7.5 but somehow all laparoscopic. Today is the 2nd day of hospital recovery. I was really sick the first day but am feeling better today and had solid food. Not a lot but getting there.

I stopped the narcotics by my own choice yesterday, painful yes but a clear head is important to me, plus they make me feel sick. Hope to be home in 3 or so days.

Celia1552

Wonderful news! So glad to hear you are doing well!

Rose Bud 🌹

That's amazing news... And props for stopping the pain meds on your own!!! Wish you all the best!!!!

Dogen\'s bag

Day 3. Had my first movement since surgery with no pain at all. Walking much better and the pain seems to be half of what it was yesterday. All in all, much less traumatic than I had anticipated.

It's a good day.