How to Remove Persistent Odors from Ostomy Support Garments

Replies
Views
Hisbiscus
Feb 04, 2024 4:48 pm

How to get the smell out of ostomy support garments. They have already been washed umpteen times but still have a barnyard smell. I have asked this on other forums as well, trying to get all opinions.

Morning glory
Feb 04, 2024 5:02 pm

Try rinsing in vinegar.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,888 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Hisbiscus
Feb 04, 2024 5:08 pm
Reply to Morning glory

I have tried that before, but the vinegar does not seem to rinse out well.

warrior
Feb 04, 2024 5:17 pm

Hi.. interesting request. Thanks for asking...

Do you allow any garment or support belt to soak?

If my mounting plate leaks, the belt and sheets get soaked in regular wash soap.

If sheets and comforter are really bad, I toss them in the trash. Yeah, expensive too. That odor lingers all over the house. Febreze comes to mind.. the spray..

It's quite disgusting to deal with.. you agree?

I use Shout to get the stains out of my ostomy support belt. No odors..

Can't get the stains all of it out. Always a mild stain left..

But soaking for hours.. I find helps and is cost-effective.

There are all kinds of washer drop-ins being advertised on TV.

Stain vs. odor is challenging but never heard complaints about your issues..

Yup.. you are the first.. and this might seem uncomfortable but I shower with my thin support belt on. And away goes trouble down the drain. 😆

Hisbiscus
Feb 04, 2024 8:22 pm
Reply to warrior

Hi,

I have not tried soaking regularly, but I did it one time. I'm not leaking at all, but if I did, I'd just throw it away. Too much trouble for me. So, it's just, I guess, coming from maybe the bag end? I'm very clean about things, but I guess this ileostomy poop just smells so badly. I use M9 odor drops as well. Maybe I should try soaking regularly, as it may be my only answer. Someone else mentioned on another forum the same thing, but they use a workout clothing soap called Rockin' Green. I may have to invest my time in doing this. I was hoping to find an easier solution as I'm so busy working and such.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
AlexT
Feb 04, 2024 9:33 pm

My wraps/belt have no odor. 🤷‍♂️ I wear the same wrap for usually 5 days before switching because of work, no smelly wraps.

Hisbiscus
Feb 04, 2024 11:36 pm
Reply to AlexT

I used to be able to do that as well. I could wear them for a few days. It's really gotten me baffled as to why now. The past two years have been a stinky and sticky problem.