1 week post ileostomy reversal-phantom stoma feelings?

Replies
Views
amymariefred

Hi there-

Today marks my one week reversal anniversary. What a way easier recovery for me than the first time. I had a lot of nausea and vomiting at the hospital and ended up staying one night longer. But once that was over, I felt so much better. Less pain, easier to walk, good appetite. My mom had stayed 5 days last time and she went home after two days. I wasn’t needing my walker, I showered myself, and once I started consuming fiber supplements I was able to get to the bathroom without issues. 

I feel phantom stoma bubbles- like when red velvet gurgled- but where my incision is. Like there are bubbles under my skin. Is that normal? I have a call into my doctor but was just curious if others experienced this odd feeling. 

I'm looking forward to a more restful recovery this time. Some physical and mental healing. 

Morning glory

Hang in there. You're  doing great. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,497 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

warrior

Gee..bubbles?? Wow..u see them?? This is news to me..

I never heard of this but I seeing and reading  so many things ppl are experiencing and mentioning it gives me pause to say WTF. ??

Great you will see doctor.. my impression??hmm..bubbles are air or gas..leaks??. Can't be good..but if no fever and pains u have time to see doctor..

Using phantom here is tricky..

CrappyColon

If it makes you feel better…how my small intestines were readjusting again felt so similar to when I was pregnant that I took a couple pregnancy tests (yes they were negative it was just small intestine moving around and how internal sutures were anchoring things). 

Ben38

I've never had a reversal so can't comment on that but I did have a second temporary stoma when that was removed I had phantom feelings

Keep on fighting your doing really well.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Axl

Good for you, up up and away !!!

MoeMoe

Hi! I had a colostomy reversal and I could feel bubbles in my belly afterwards. Not quite sure if it’s the same thing you are experiencing but I could actually feel it with my hand when I would go from sitting to laying down. It felt so weird and scary but a phone call with the surgeon confirmed all was okay. It was the CO2 that they pumped into me during surgery. She said the body will absorb it and exit as gas or belching.  Much of that is gone now. 

amymariefred
Reply to MoeMoe

My doctor said some people experience it. So odd! It’s mostly when I’m digesting food. 

amymariefred
Reply to CrappyColon

My doctor said it can happen. I’m glad to hear I’m not alone. Thank you!

amymariefred
Reply to warrior

I don’t see the bubbles, I just feel them. I hope I didn’t offend with the term phantom. My doctor said that some people experience it. If there aren’t other symptoms I shouldn’t be worried. 

warrior

Correct. You should not be worried without symptoms. 

No offense taken from my end here. We good.

I bet you are a normally a bubbly type of person. ☺️