Hello everyone. It's coming up on 1.yr since my colostomy for colon tumor.

Replies
Views
madronaapt

Would like to make an informed decision whether to have it reversed. Am getting frequent urine infections due to the proximity of the bladder & the ostomy. Would very much appreciate hearing about your experiences with the reversal procedure & how you decided whether or not to have it reversed in your unique circumstances. Also if you decided to go back to having a colostomy after the reversal procedure.

Thanks very much for taking the time to be in this forum. Wishing you all health & happiness :)

DexieB

Hello - I had a colostomy for 8 months, and reversal Jan 30.  You can check out my previous posts.  Mine went smoothly and no regrets (so far)!  Weigh the pros and cons and do what's right for you! Also, I used to get UTI's until I discovered D-Mannose - mine were not caused from the colostomy, but you can research D-Mannose and find out if it will work for you.  :)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,533 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

kittybou

No reversal, nope, with having had a kidney transplant in 1987 too much chance of infection. My brother is very selfish, would not give me another kidney. 😸

AlexT

How does having an ostomy cause a bladder infection, unless you have a urostomy? 🤷‍♂️

aTraveler

Have a heart-to-heart talk with your surgeon(s). I spent  a very difficult 3 months in the hospital and rehab ending with a reversible colostomy. In a talk with my surgeons, I was informed that due to my developing fistulas, blood clots in lungs, legs, and arm, along with afib, I would have as many and probably more complications with a reversal. The reversal would be very complicated involving multiple surgeries. Both surgeons informed me they would not be willing to undertake the reversal — they would refer me to a surgeon that specializes in such complicated reversals. They further stated that due to the difficulty my body had healing previously, there is a high liklihood of an unsuccessful reversal. I am having no problem managing the colostomy and with physical therapy I am almost to the point of not needing a cane to walk. I do not plan to have the reversal. Understand you can not make a decision based solely on the experience of others. You need to insist that your surgeons explain to you the considerations you need to understand prior to making a decision.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
kittybou
Reply to AlexT

Maybe not enough fluids?

AlexT
Reply to kittybou

That’s not the ostomy’s fault. 

CrappyColon

Did they remove much of your colon during the surgery where colostomy was made? Is your rectum/anus intact including the sphincter muscle? 

madronaapt
Reply to DexieB

Hi! Thanks so much for suggesting D-mannose! A friend recommended it to me & have been using it ever since.

What was the major problem you encountered with the reversal. Did you get more UTI's after the reversal because of the diarrhea being so close to the entrance to the bladder? Appreciate your opinion :)

madronaapt
Reply to aTraveler

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. It's very much appreciated. Am very impressed with your strength & perseverance. I will definitely take your advice to have serious conversations with all the doctors.:)

madronaapt
Reply to AlexT

To answer your question, sometimes the colostomy bags leak especially if you have a history of autoimmune bowel problems. The stool can get all over between the colostomy, down the stomach & into the female anatomy where the entrance to the bladder is closer to the colostomy than it is in men who have the opening to the bladder much farther away.from the belly button area. Hope this answers your question. Bacteria can travel rapidly especially in a liquid environment.

DexieB
Reply to madronaapt

Hello.  My only problem with reversal was that I got sick right after surgery and got a new hernia.  And that was not the surgeons fault, just bad timing to get sick.  My UTIs happened  off and on since I was young…triggered by various things like holding in my urine too long, or not peeing immediately after intimacy.  Nothing to do with my ostomy.  I did tons of research and tried D Mannose, it got rid of my last UTI in a day.  Now I use it preventatively after things that usually trigger a UTI and it works like magic for me.  Not medical advice , just my experience!  

madronaapt
Reply to AlexT

Are you a colorectal surgeon?

AlexT
Reply to madronaapt

No, why?