Colostomy Irrigation: Safe to Use Regular Enema Bottle?

Replies
Views
Rodr24
Apr 25, 2024 2:51 pm

I've had a total of around 18" or so of end colon removed, starting just above the sigmoid. (2 surgeries, 13 years ago, the first one took 8" due to acute diverticulitis, just about 5 weeks ago, the second was emergency surgery to fix a complete bowel obstruction.)

Would I be able to safely use a regular enema bottle to irrigate and possibly help get things moving?

I posed this question as a subtopic in another post but it is rather buried, so I am starting this topic just for this one question.

I'm in a foreign country for two more days, then flying internationally with an overnight layover, so I'll be at my destination airport in 4 days. The irrigation is to help loosen some stubborn stool. I'm just concerned that if I get on the plane and it's still not active, it could become an issue...

Medical care here has been the worst, so going to the clinic is my last choice. Problem is, I don't have anywhere here to buy an irrigation kit.

aTraveler
Apr 25, 2024 3:31 pm

I would suggest you not use a regular enema bottle on your stoma due to the risk of perforation to your colon. Use of a Foley catheter is said to be the preferred way to administer an enema through the stoma. You state medical care is poor in your location; therefore, you should not risk injuring your colon. Taking a laxative may be your best option.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,886 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Rodr24
Apr 25, 2024 4:19 pm
Reply to aTraveler

Thank you. This has been quite the stressful few weeks, and I can't express my gratitude sufficiently to communicate how much this forum has helped.

I did go into a clinic here this morning and the doctor said since I have no pain, no fever, and no nausea, that I should be good to travel. He cautioned that if any of those things do happen I need to get medical care immediately.

The latest development has nothing to do with my stoma... My compromised immune system and high stress levels are likely to blame for the shingles that is the latest development.

I can't wait to get home.

yorkylass
May 02, 2024 7:05 pm

How did you go on, Rod? Did you take a laxative? How was flying? I have been in that situation, sort of. Went somewhere and forgot part of my irrigation set. It is so stressful.

Rodr24
May 02, 2024 11:10 pm
Reply to yorkylass

I made it home. Things were still slow, but at least a little moving through each day. Yesterday, I was up to almost half of what I normally see, but today I'm making up for lost time.

Now I can confidently say that I do not have a blockage. This has truly eased my worries.

I didn't take a laxative, just ate very carefully and hydrated heavily, and made sure to take good long walks each day.

My sincere thanks to all for your helpful responses.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister