Are Iceberg Lettuce and Tomatoes Safe to Eat with an Ileostomy?

Replies
Views
R1Kirby
Apr 26, 2024 4:39 pm

I have had an ileostomy for 8 months now. Are iceberg lettuce and tomatoes safe to eat? It would be nice on a burger again.

AlexT
Apr 26, 2024 4:56 pm

There's one way to find out. Chew well, fluids. Enjoy.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,886 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mysterious Mose
Apr 26, 2024 5:36 pm

With the caveat that we are all different, yes maybe. As Alex says, chew, chew and find out. Small doses to start. Lettuce is best at least shredded, if not finely chopped. I've personally had no problems with tomatoes, but I mostly eat them on burgers or sandwiches. Experimentation is really the only way to know. What is good for the goose is not necessarily good for the gander. Or another goose, for that matter. :-)

Daniel

CrappyColon
Apr 26, 2024 5:57 pm

For those without a colon, the only types we can actually digest/get some nutrients from are spinach, romaine, and butter lettuce. Iceberg might make things more runny? Can't imagine a little would cause issues, but as others have said…

Ben38
Apr 26, 2024 7:02 pm

I can't say if you can. You just have to try a small amount and see how it goes down and comes out. Then, if there was a problem, it will be short-lived.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Axl
Apr 27, 2024 8:37 am

Just do it. The amount you would put on a burger is irrelevant.

Morning glory
Apr 27, 2024 3:12 pm

I can eat mine this way without a problem. Try it for yourself and enjoy that 🍔. Just chew it well. As Axel said, the amount is minimal.

infinitycastle52777
May 01, 2024 7:53 pm

Iceberg lettuce is the only lettuce I can eat. I have an ileostomy. I peel tomatoes, so I don't eat the skin. But so far as I can tell, once peeled, they digest okay for me.