Is it normal for skin around a new stoma to be red and sore?

Replies
Views
MrLB
May 03, 2024 3:13 pm

Hello all, today is my one-week anniversary since my stoma op. Lots to take in this week and grateful for this community. I have a question regarding the skin around the stoma. Is it normal for it to be red and sore-looking one week after the op? And if so, how long does it roughly take to settle down? I'm also a paraplegic, so I don't have full sensation in that area. Thanks

Mysterious Mose
May 03, 2024 5:36 pm

How big an area are we talking about? If it is just a small area right around the stoma, it is probably from seepage around your seal. Using a barrier ring can help alleviate that. Also, moving to a convex wafer, if you are using a flat barrier now. I don't know how fit you are around that area. Since you are a paraplegic, I am assuming your skin is not taut. If that is the case, a convex wafer with a barrier ring may suit you.

If the soreness covers a larger area, perhaps you are allergic to the adhesive and should try a different product. Or use a skin barrier. There are lots of people that struggle with sensitivity to adhesives and they would know solutions better than me.

Also, you have not indicated what type of ostomy you have. Colostomy, ileostomy, or urostomy? It is very helpful for people to understand your situation. The types of ostomies can be quite different. Especially if we are talking urostomy.

Daniel

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,886 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Itsme58
May 03, 2024 8:12 pm

Skin barrier wipes and stoma powder create a barrier between your bag and your skin. They will also help the powder make the redness go away. You use the skin barrier wipe, then you put the powder on, and then you take a barrier wipe and lock the powder in on your skin. It creates a seal so if bowel does leak, it won't irritate your skin.

Differentclass
May 03, 2024 8:54 pm

Hi LB. Ask your stoma nurse for some fusion sticks, which helped me enormously. The skin does settle down after a while; mine has, even though a little pink at times. I just use the fusion stick for a day, which you will get on prescription here in the UK. It gets better, really it does.

Mysterious Mose
May 03, 2024 10:12 pm
Reply to Itsme58

I know one person who uses spray calamine lotion to ease the irritation. While covering the stoma, of course.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
gentlejohn
May 03, 2024 10:31 pm

Welcome to the club! Post-op you will have aches and pains in a lot of places. However, you should not have skin irritation (red, itching) around your stoma. Regarding how it is managed, the enterostomal nurses are the experts. Personally, I found out that I needed a convex barrier to manage seepage. Be very careful what you put on the irritation because a lot of creams will interfere with your skin barrier adhesion. The ostomy bag companies have rings, pastes, wipes, and powders that are designed to manage skin irritation. Do not let the skin irritation get out of hand. It is best to manage it early before you have a wound beside your stoma.

Beth22
May 04, 2024 11:01 am

Is it the skin around and at the base of your stoma? Or the rest of the skin surrounding it? If it's around the base of your stoma, how big are you cutting your wafer?

MrLB
May 04, 2024 12:01 pm

Hi everyone, thanks so much for all of the replies. Really helpful, the hole is pretty snug to the stoma so I wonder if I have an issue with the adhesive. Lots of things to look at here from the responses and I'll give my stoma team a call on Monday.

B@tLady
May 08, 2024 3:24 pm
Reply to Differentclass

Could you share a link for more info on that product? I can't find it with a web search.