Can't Get the Barrier Ring and Wafer to Stay Adhered Near the Stoma

Replies
Views
Ileomair
May 07, 2024 1:56 am

I have a loop ileostomy from surgery about a month ago. I can't get the barrier ring and wafer to stay adhered near the stoma. I warm them and hold pressure for a good 3-5 minutes. The adhesion doesn't last very long. As a result, I've had output get under the ring and wafer, so my skin is in bad shape. Any ideas?

kayakkaren941
May 07, 2024 4:05 am

Ask your supplier for the Brava protective sheets. They come in different sizes. These sheets are super sticky. After 6 months of leaks, this product was recommended and now I might get a leak once every couple of weeks.

Make sure to order plenty of adhesive remover too.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,886 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

warrior
May 07, 2024 8:52 am

Sorry to hear about your issue.

It is quite discouraging, but do carry on to find answers. Good advice above about sheets. I have not tried them.

I tried a different barrier ring. And assuming the skin around the stoma is clean and dry and not irritated, maybe you need a paste - glue?

Definitely use spray or wipe remover for removing the flange.

You will get more answers. Sit tight. And welcome to the hood.

Beth22
May 07, 2024 11:16 am

Hey, you probably do and it might be silly to ask. But are you making sure the skin is completely dry before putting on the wafer? And also, it might be the brand you are using. I can only use one brand because either the rest of the brands don't stick to my skin, or I have a horrible allergic reaction. Have you tried other brands to see if that is what's going on?

AlexT
May 07, 2024 2:00 pm

Is there a scar in the area?

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Ileomair
May 07, 2024 2:17 pm
Reply to kayakkaren941

Thank you! I'll ask about this. ❤️

Ileomair
May 07, 2024 2:18 pm
Reply to warrior

Thank you!

Ileomair
May 07, 2024 2:21 pm
Reply to Beth22

I do make sure the skin is dry. Always good to make sure about the basics. 😊 I will check other products to see if they work better. Thank you.

Ileomair
May 07, 2024 2:23 pm
Reply to AlexT

No scar in the area. I think I may need to try other brands to see if they work better. 😊

aTraveler
May 07, 2024 3:05 pm

The other thing to consider is the height of your stoma. If it is too low, it becomes difficult to keep stool from getting underneath your wafer. Also, are you using a moldable ring that is hugging your stoma? There is a term that is used in football called "gap integrity" — this is very applicable to your stoma and ostomy appliance. You must ensure that any gap between your stoma and wafer is sealed off; that is, you have to ensure "gap integrity." There is another barrier ring you can try called "Ostoform." It is primarily useful for ileostomies, not so much for colostomies. They provide free samples.

https://ostoform.com/

TerryLT
May 07, 2024 7:35 pm

You've gotten good advice here. The height your stoma is raised from your skin is really important. If your stoma is flush with your skin or nearly so, it can be nearly impossible to keep output from getting under the flange. If that isn't your issue, do try other brands of barrier ring. My favorite is Salts brand Aloe Rings. They are very thin and stick like crazy, giving me seven to eight days wear time. Good luck.

Terry

Beth22
May 08, 2024 2:16 am
Reply to TerryLT

Hey Terry, I wish we could get salts here. Unfortunately, they don't and won't. I reached out to them.

aTraveler
May 08, 2024 2:40 am
Reply to Beth22

I have seen them on the Bonanza site:

https://m.bonanza.com/listings/Salts-SAR38-Aloe-Rings-38mm-x-30/975149014

You may want to check; they have different sellers.

Ironguy
May 08, 2024 12:33 pm

I stick it right to the wafer, then press it against my skin. It works for me.

B@tLady
May 08, 2024 2:41 pm

Have you tried prepping the skin around the stoma with a barrier wipe or spray before applying the ring and pouch? Doing that could help things adhere better and also keep from ripping the skin when you remove the flange. As for the skin breakdown, you may want to ask your ostomy care nurse about "crusting" with the barrier wipe and some stoma powder.

Second Time
May 18, 2024 2:28 am
Reply to kayakkaren941

Yes! These work for me. I haven't had a leak in almost a year after having to change my bag 4 to 6 times a week because of leaks.  I also have a loop ileostomy. Here's what Ive come up with. I cut the ring in a figure 8 shape that matches the shape of my stoma. But, I cut it a little smaller. I heat it up as well my barrier in a heating pad. Then using a mirror i fit the ring right to the stoma. No extra space but flush on my skin. Not lifted. This is working for me. It's been a long hard road but finally I  have a life outside of my home. It took almost 3 years to figure out something that worked. I so do hope this will help you!!