How Often Do You Experience Seal Failures with Your Ostomy?

Replies
Views
slimwhitehicks
May 08, 2024 7:59 pm

Hey gang, long-time ostomy guy here. Thirteen-plus years with an ileostomy. Generally, no complaints. Crohn's disease, life-saving surgery, great surgeon, good insurance. My question is about how often folks have a seal failure. I've had them on and off over the years, and I've dialed in my products to get a very satisfactory result overall. I try not to let my appliance go too long—about a week is ideal—but I still get seal failures more often than I'd like—say, about once every three or four weeks. I have a pretty physical job, so I know that is part of it. I'm wondering how often this happens to you.

TerryLT
May 08, 2024 9:03 pm

I am happy to say I have not experienced any increase in seal failure myself, but sad to say it seems others are having the same issues. There was another post just today about a similar problem, both related to a decrease in quality of ostomy products. Unless you just got a bad batch, which can happen, it sounds like quality may be deteriorating, which is very alarming!

Terry

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,886 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT
May 08, 2024 9:55 pm

4 in 3 years but I can account for 3 of them. 1) Too many oatmeal raisin cookies at once. 2) Tried a different setup. 3) Had a bunch of pancaking while in a hyperbaric chamber. 4) Not sure but it never felt “right” when I put the bag on to begin with. Only the first time was messy as it happened at night and I think I rolled onto it. The other ones the cloth edge stopped it from coming out and getting messy.

kittybou
May 08, 2024 10:29 pm

Every time I take my 64 lb pup for a walk, he pulls big time. I called a certain place for advice and got a snotty reply. I emailed and complained about poor customer service. When they got the email, they told me to buy my supplies somewhere else.

gentlejohn
May 08, 2024 10:46 pm

Try changing your barrier at 3-5 day intervals. It is likely that you will have fewer failures.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
AlexT
May 09, 2024 1:46 am

Yep, everyone has a timeline on how long your setup will last without issues.

warrior
May 09, 2024 2:56 am

Slimwhitehicks - ha ha. That's a cool handle.

You said you have a physically demanding job.

Saying it's part of the reason behind a failure is an understatement.

I can blow a seal in a day at my job. Bending, lifting, and depending on what you ate, too... oh boy.

Shit happens. Leaks happen.

Getting a week out of your appliance sounds healthy.

It's the nature of things - like sweating, heat, temps. It's gonna happen - a leak.

A breach, a blowout.

I look at this the same as I would for clothing... whether it's your socks, underwear, etc. It requires changing. Just an adjustment to become a habit or second nature kind of thing.

Have you heard of the extender C strips? They help prevent the blowout from blowing out onto you. Great stuff. The seal is definitely shot, but the extenders keep it inside, buying you time to get the appliance replaced.

Ben38
May 09, 2024 5:48 am

As already suggested by other members, change a day or two earlier to see if that makes a difference. If it was daily or weekly, I would suggest trying another product, but your setup is working OK. It's over 10 years since my last leak. I know I've been very lucky for now.

Axl
May 09, 2024 7:34 am

"About a week"!!!

With an ileo!!!

I'm not surprised you're getting leaks. I've never gone more than three days.

slimwhitehicks
May 09, 2024 11:06 am

Great insight from everyone. Thanks!

Beth22
May 09, 2024 11:22 am
Reply to Axl

Ack, I was thinking the same thing. I have to change every other day. I get almost three days sometimes if I'm lucky, but that's a rare one lol. What can I say? Ms. Briella likes to wiggle, shoot, and move crazy about.

Hisbiscus
May 10, 2024 1:21 am

I like to change every day, but I can last 2 days if I have to. I just can't stand how nasty the bag gets. I've never tried longer, so I'm not sure how long it would actually last without a blowout.

Axl
May 10, 2024 8:13 am
Reply to Beth22

Tell me about it. I think I have gotten 4 days a few times, and that was some sort of miracle.

Beachboy
May 10, 2024 9:16 am

I'm currently experimenting. On day 10, same wafer. Changed bags a few times. I wafer change tomorrow... I'm just curious how long I can go if forced to. You never know... I might be kidnapped by a band of bikini babes and held hostage in a sandcastle.

warrior
May 10, 2024 3:18 pm
Reply to Beachboy

As if... 😄 (Band of bikini babes)

Boalsman
May 12, 2024 1:23 pm

You want to replace the fan belt on your car before it breaks.

I change my wafer every 5 days.

Beachboy
May 12, 2024 2:56 pm
Reply to warrior

Fortunately, the bikini babes took a "rain check." Still, gotta be diligent walking the beach this summer. If I'm spotted and chased, I'll give Warrior a call for backup as I zip across the sand. 🐋🐬🐠🦀🦞🐚😇

I removed my 10-day experimental wafer to discover... perfection. No redness, skin trouble, or leaks. Did have quite a bit of hair growth. Used an extra remover wipe to unstick them all. Since I have a colostomy with well-formed output, I was able to get away with keeping my wafer on so long.

aTraveler
May 15, 2024 7:41 am
Reply to Beachboy

Well-formed output BB, I wish. I have a colostomy, and the output is mostly pasty/sticky due to having to take 150 mg iron tablets. When not taking the iron, it is semi-solid. Is your colostomy on your descending colon?