Waterproofing Your Ostomy Bag with Scotchguard

Replies
Views
IGGIE

I just had an idea and it works, 3M makes a product called Scotchguard. Spray the outside of your bag before you shower and the water just runs off, and it's dry after your shower. Give it a go. Regards, IGGIE

eefyjig

Hi Iggie, sounds like a good idea! Does the spray make your bag stiff or have a weird smell? Just wondering....

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,489 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

IGGIE

Not at all, it's very pliable and no smell.

AlexT

You must have different Scotchgard there than here.

w30bob
Reply to AlexT

Here in the US you'd want to use Scotchgard Fabric Water Shield. There used to be only one Scotchgard, but like everything, they've expanded.

;O)

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
IGGIE
Reply to w30bob

Then give it a go, Bob. And let me know how you go.

Mysterious Mose

I use the "covered" bags from Hollister (18183, off the top of my head) and I simply pat the bag on both sides with a small towel. It's dry by the time I get dressed. No need for noxious chemicals.

w30bob
Reply to IGGIE

Hi Ig,

I would, but I don't mind my bag getting wet. After showering, I just blot with a paper towel and it air dries very quickly. Feels good now that summer is here!

;O)

JamesArnod

I simply use a hair dryer, works well for me and only takes a few minutes after drying with a towel.

IGGIE

Then let's forget I even thought of it.

bumblebeebob9

Iggie, your Scotch Guard idea would be very useful for waterproofing tape around the outside of the disc! This would extend the wear ability of any support tape.

Esme

Please Google and check the Scotchgard 3M data safety sheet. It has a lot of precautions because it is toxic. Like many waterproofing coatings, its ability to repel water is from the PFOS chemicals in it.

IGGIE

Such a simple idea that does work, but seems a problem to others.

warrior

old post reply here. found a bit of humor as usual.

iggie..never give up. u post. we post. everyone has an opinion not so much a butt hole however..

perhaps this might help:

I recall a scene in Crocodile Dundee where this New York City boy- wannabe gangsta whips out of pocket knife to rob Dundee and kind of threatens him and what does Dundee do??  laughs. cracks a smile... he turns around and whips out like a 20 inch Bowie knife and he says what everybody  quotes him occasionally   "now that's a knife".🤣

IGGIE
Reply to warrior

G-Day Warrior,

I think my knife looks about the same, can you make the name out at the top of the knife. Regards IGGIE