Colostomy Reversal - Healing Process and Experiences?

Replies
Views
mikkiroxx
Mar 20, 2018 11:42 pm

Hi, I was reading your post. I was wondering what you meant by learning to use the pot all over again. I have an ileostomy and I can't wait for my reversal. I had 8 inches of colon removed. I was told I would use the toilet a lot. It just scares me and I'm not sure what to think of this. Like, will I have the poops all day and night? Will I be able to control my bowels? Will I poop my pants at work? I want a reversal but also want to have control of my poop! What's your thoughts?

mikkiroxx
Mar 20, 2018 11:58 pm

Hi Katy, I had 8 inches of colon removed. I have had several bad episodes of diverticulitis, I finally had the surgery. After 15 years of being afraid, I was in total panic up until the second I went under in the operation room. I woke up to 30 staples and an ileostomy. My surgeon says 3 months for a reversal, I'm having a barium enema prior to see if things are okay for reversal. I want this reversal so bad. Dealing with this bag has been so hard for me. I hear so many terrible stories of people living on the toilet after reversal and things gone wrong. My surgeon says I won't be regular for maybe 3 years after reversal!! Just wondering what your thoughts are.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,841 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Jenerprise
Mar 21, 2018 1:02 am

It has been about four months since my reversal. I had about 5-6 inches of my sigmoid removed, along with a portion of my jejunum. I had a colostomy for about 5 months.

I woke up in not a ton of pain after the reversal- I also had a stomal hernia repair as well at the same time. I started pooping after about 24 hours of surgery. I need to take about a teaspoon of milk of magnesia every night or else I get constipated.

I have had no issues outside of that. I have not had an occasion where I pooped my pants or couldn't hold it. Nothing like that. I poop once a day usually, sometimes twice.

I am very happy I had my reversal!

Jen

Angelicamarie
Mar 21, 2018 5:13 am

Jen, I'm glad everything went well. I'm sure you are glad you had it done, hope your healing process isn't too bad. Best wishes!! Angel

mikkiroxx
Mar 26, 2018 9:43 pm

Thanks for the info. I am excited about my upcoming reversal. Just don't know what to expect or how often I will be running to the toilet. I just want this bag off and my life to go back to normal so to speak :)

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Jenerprise
Mar 26, 2018 11:14 pm

I get it...

I feel - never normal but always special and blessed for what we have been through and go through. Very strong

latina63
Mar 27, 2018 1:13 am

I have been reversed for 5 years now, at times I do wish I had the bag back. I think it all depends on how low your connection was, how much colon/rectum they removed. Mine was very low and I lost a lot of my rectum, so I still have a lot of problems: rectal nerve pain, cluster bowel movements, chronic constipation.... It's very hard sometimes, just hoping that it will continue to get better. It definitely is a new normal.