Getting Sore Outside Of Pouch Maybe Sweat Pimples

In this discussion
Replies
Views
mooza

I am getting small sores and I have an ileostomy. Are there any pouches that let our skin breathe? I'm using a shallow convex piece. I seem to have thinner skin around my stoma and I can't get any surgery to move it. It's been done. I'm so worried about the future. I'm using free cream, Sudocream, and I may put a small bit of XAF33.

Would love to be pouch-free and yes, I have tried all those silly things. A sticky pouch with more breathability would be great. I haven't seen anything in our Australian magazine.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,089 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

LadyHope

Hi Mooza, it's me LadyHope. I sometimes get a rash around the edge of my wafer...and it itches like crazy. When this happens and I am not ready to change the wafer completely, I wipe the area with witch hazel and dry it. Then I sprinkle a little baby powder. It helps me. As for those pouches, I will bathe and shower with the pouch covered so it does not get wet. I sometimes think, but not sure, if a wet pouch on the skin could cause a fungal infection. For a bath, I just roll the pouch and tape it so I can relax in the tub with the water almost to the wafer. With a shower, I use a cheap sandwich baggie like a raincoat and tape around the edges. Sometimes water gets in but that small amount dries quickly. Yes, I wish I could snap my fingers, make a wish and my stoma would reconnect with everything and I am back to the old way. But until then, Stanley and I are in this together so we make the best of it. Stanley is my stoma :) Hope this helps heal the sore. Take care. LH

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Mrs.A

Hi Mare,

Sweaty pimples, I think, is a yeast infection. What about trying some cornstarch right from your pantry on your skin? I used to put a dusting on my kids' bottoms when they were in diapers. It kept the diaper rash away.

Immarsh

Hi Lady Hope... It's Marsha. I'm writing to tell you that I love the name you gave your stoma... Stanley! What a guy. My friend has a George, and "Rosie's Mom"... is really a cute "name". I've never, in 50 years, named mine... I don't really know why. And now it seems like it's too late. Or, maybe I should run a contest and have others suggest a name for "My Stoma".

BTW, I like the reply you gave Mooza... I've become very susceptible to "fungal" irritations... so I've been using Zabsorb powder, in creases of skin (I'm overweight) under "boobs", and now I also use it under the pouch, after a shower when I'm in a rush and my skin is damp.

I gave up taking baths more than 50 years ago, although I do indulge if I happen to be in a hotel with a hot tub or whirlpool tub. I have no trouble keeping my wafer on in cold water... oceans or pools, but the wafer doesn't always dry well enough if soaked in hot water of a shower or bath. So I take very short showers, with my back to the water... unless I'm going to change. Ah... those are nice, hot, long steamy showers. As for tape,

I'm allergic to adhesive, and even some paper tapes, but found "Scanpoor", which stays on through at least 2 showers and acts like a second skin.

Best Regards,

Marsha

Immarsh

Hi Mooza,

Read your post about trouble with your skin. If it's under your wafer... don't use soap... use hot water, and then cold water... and use a good skin prep. I always spray stoma adhesive powder on the skin around the stoma... and under the wafer.

I'm allergic to regular tape and use a paper tape... Scanpoor" with very good results. It actually stays on through a shower.

If you're getting a rash under the pouch/where the pouch rubs the pelvic skin, it could be fungal. Try baby powder or cornstarch... but if it's fungal, try a specialty powder. I use one called Z Absorb. But check your pharmacy. It used to be a "male" product for jock itch... but now it's generic for men or women... "Crotch itch"? Well, not really, just in the creases... sometimes.

We'll have to Skype again soon. It was a fun visit. Hope all is well.

Marsha

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister