Reversal Scheduled for October - Need Information Please!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
darren1286

I am a relatively healthy man. I was in a snowmobile accident in January and had to have a colostomy to heal and to stop any infection from my wounds, etc.
I am scheduled for October and was not told of any risks from my doctor. I have been reading horror stories on this site and was wondering if I would have the same issues.
If anyone could advise me of any news, good or bad, that would be great.
Thank you for your time.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,097 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

I can't comment from personal experience but from what I have read, the people who have reversal problems have usually experienced bowel disease or cancer in the past, and as your colostomy was the result of an accident, I believe your reversal will be successful.

Best wishes x

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
weewee

I would have to agree with her, and the only way most people have other issues is if the doctor messes up and nicks a spot that causes a problem. Other than that, good luck.

Pinky

Agreed!

wookie2005

I do have to agree with what has been said as well. I cannot comment from personal experience as I'm scheduled to have my rectum removed in December, but mine is a case from having bowel cancer. I don't want to have the risk of anything becoming cancer cells, etc. But like what was said, your colostomy is a result of an accident, therefore you should be fine. Best of luck and lots of warm wishes. - Wookie2005

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
darren1286
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and answers.
ELLENANNE1

I had my colostomy reversed a few weeks ago and everything went fine. I too was very apprehensive after reading all the horror stories on this site. I'm glad I decided to go for the reversal. It feels so good to be normal again.

Past Member
Hi Darren,
The colostomy procedure is not all that bad...just sore as hell for a few days. The hardest part about the bag is the emotional part. But after a while you kinda get used to it. Has your surgeon spoken of a future reversal? Mine did and that's what gave me strength. It was supposed to happen a year later. But when the time came she refused, saying I would have to wear the bag for the rest of my life. I told her "that dog won't hunt!" and found me another surgeon. He did the reversal and I have been great ever since. Trick is, get other opinions, get other opinions!

Good luck!

Jack
Faith4Today

BEST OF LUCK. I have to agree. If you have a doctor that isn't sure a reversal will be a success and may be difficult, find a better doctor for a second opinion. I was told no by two, but hunted for the head of the department at another hospital where they often come up with new techniques. He said, "No problem, I do several a day." I could have been scared off by the doctors who said no way, you will be sorry... Be brave and find a doctor with confidence in his skills. God bless.

KennyT

Darren, the reversal process you are looking at should not present any problems, hopefully. The horror stories you refer to are with regards to people who just don't require a fairly simple (as far as the ostomy world goes) colon reconnection. I have been through this.

Many people will require an internal pouch to be built and will not have a functioning colon, which in the scheme of things makes a massive difference and places a completely different aspect upon the question of reversal.

Take care,
Ken

KennyT

Just read the dates on the posts. Thought it was January just gone. DOH!!!

That is why I am a dumb Aussie. Have to go now so I make it in time to my remedial reading class.

Ken Jackass.

SheliaBaby

Hahahaha.....Kenny, someone rude would say leave the "U" out....but I'm not rude, of course.

Maybe with a little practice......Shelia

KennyT
Shelia,    

Now, now, I can only take so much and then I will cry, okay? Just got back from my first reading class and I have mastered my name!!! Fantastic, eh?

Ken
SheliaBaby

I know Kenny...a man can only take so much and I would hate to bring you to tears. I'll be nice.

A Gold Star for you! Must have taken great effort to master spelling "K-E-N"....your determination is admirable.......and after only one class!!! IMPRESSIVE!!

Sheila

KennyT

You have no idea how hard it was to read 'Ekn' the right way. Sorry, I meant 'Kne'.
Oh shit, I am still having dramas with this reading stuff, Shelia!!!!!!! I will keep attempting to get this right.

NEK

SheliaBaby

"KennyT"]You have no idea how hard it was to read 'Ekn' the right way. Sorry, I meant 'Kne'.
Oh shit, I am still having dramas with this reading stuff, Shelia!!!!!!! I will keep attempting to get this right."

You got the first letter right.....and that shows progress, Kenny! Just hang in there and I'm sure with hard work, you will be able to muddle through it all. Til then.......just put a spin on it and maybe try....."K to the N to the E...that's me!".....and then roll around on your head or something like the guy on the video.....maybe no one will notice, Shelia