Recovery Time After Ileostomy Reversal Surgery

Replies
Views
knitter
Jun 13, 2023 8:00 pm

Hello there:

I may be eligible for a reversal on my ileostomy in a few months. I was wondering if any of you on this site have had a reversal and how long it took to recover. I don't want to jump the gun, but there is an important family gathering in October on the West Coast that I'd love to attend. If I can't, that's fine, but it would be interesting to see what the average recovery time is after this second surgery.

CrappyColon
Jun 13, 2023 9:29 pm

It really varies from person to person and the reason for the ileostomy and the type of reversal. I'd be happy to share some of my experiences with you if you have any specific questions?

I had an abdominal colectomy ileorectal anastomosis made in one surgery. Loop ileostomy. Reason for colectomy: disorder of brain/gut dysfunction (till they come up with something more specific).

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,870 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

knitter
Jun 17, 2023 11:46 pm
Reply to CrappyColon

Thank you. I had a rectal tumor removed, so I believe a small part of the rectum was removed, but I'm otherwise in good shape. My surgeon says I've gotten through the worst part and the reversal should be easy after my radiation/chemo treatment and the initial surgery. I guess I just want to know if I can return to some normalcy.
Can I enjoy foods and activities that I did in the past?