Hartman's Reversal: One Month Update and Recovery Journey

Replies
Views
Newhere
Aug 29, 2023 11:33 pm

Background: Emergency surgery in January, perforated bowel, peritonitis, 1 week in ICU, 1 week in hospital.

Reversal 3/8/23. Open procedure went well, but after 48 hours developed ileus and had the lovely NG tube for the next 4 days.

Total 8 nights hospital stay.

Back home, couldn't lay flat in bed so spent the first 10 nights sleeping in a recliner chair, happy to be home.

BMs, what can I say? In hospital and for the first 2 weeks at home, it was like shitting out small amounts of acid up to 12 times a day. Baby wipes, barrier cream, and nappies or diapers are a must-have.

Then my bowels seemed to settle quite quickly, and now it's all good: 2 or 3 BMs a day, little or no urgency.

Pain: Since day one, the most pain is at the old stoma site. It gets worse at night after I sleep, wakes me up at 2 a.m., and once I get up around 5:50, 6:00 a.m. and get moving, it fades a lot but is still there. I see the surgeon next week, so I hope he can tell me if it's normal. I wouldn't call it severe pain but moderate and really uncomfortable.

This site and the people here have been so helpful to me. If by writing this I can help someone else, that's good.

I will check back in another month. Thank you all.

Beachboy
Aug 29, 2023 11:56 pm

Thanks for the update! Sorry to hear of your pain. Hope it fades away as the days go by. Kinda funny to say it: But it will be great to read when you have your first satisfying BM. Something most of the world takes for granted. Take care.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,866 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

DexieB
Aug 30, 2023 2:20 pm

Thank you for your update - similar situation for me... will be having a reversal hopefully in the coming year. I hope you recover quickly and the pain will all be a distant memory soon! Will be watching for your updates! Best wishes and take care.

godisgreatty12345
Oct 27, 2023 8:37 am

I hope you recover quickly and the pain will all be a forgotten memory soon! Will be looking for your updates! Best wishes and take care. What is your email so that I can write you up and discuss many things. Best regards.