Facing Stoma Revision Surgery: Nervous and Seeking Advice

Replies
Views
Bethstanley

So I got the phone call and my surgery is 15th September, my pre-op is on the 4th.
Honestly, I'm terrified.
I've had my stoma for 20 months; it has been such a complex journey.
I found out I was getting a stoma less than an hour before I was being rushed to surgery, and I was expecting to have a temporary stoma. I came to several weeks later finding out it was actually permanent.

I spent 12 weeks in the hospital in total, where a lot happened. In that time, I had 11 surgeries, and I was in intensive care for 2 periods of time, one in which I was in a coma and ventilated.
I was in a very critical condition; I had gangrene and sepsis.
I ended up needing a vac therapy machine for 4-5 months and had to learn how to walk again.
I've been left living my life as a very different person, and I've been left with nerve damage, bladder problems, and chronic pain alongside my stoma.
I'm terrified of going back to the hospital and going through it again, but I need my stoma sorting.
Soon into my stoma journey, my stoma retracted, which has meant I leak very often, and my skin is always breaking down and burning. They are also looking at improving the midline scar; basically, I have a 20-25cm hole that healed in a weird way because of the vac machine, so the plan is to improve the way it looks at the same time.

As I said, I'm so nervous.

I wondered if anyone has had this surgery?
If so, how long were you in the hospital? How long was your recovery? And how soon after were you driving.
Thank you!

Axl

Hello Beth

I have had a revision as they call it, as my stoma was prolapsing, but that was all they had to do. The surgery and recovery was easily the least of all the surgeries I have had. Just be aware that your stoma will become larger in diameter as they have to remove any trace of surface scar as your appliances won't stick to scars for some reason.

I hope you get what you wish for.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,489 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

ron in mich

Good luck with the surgery and a speedy recovery. I had revision surgery 5 years ago due to Crohn's causing scar tissue, making my stoma retract to skin level, causing leaks and blockages. I was in for 11 days.

Justbreathe

Hi Beth - sounds like you have been through so much. Hopefully your upcoming revision will finally improve everything for you. Facing surgery is never something anyone wants to do and I hope the time will pass quickly and you will be on the road to a quick recovery. Ostomates can relate and understand your fears - chin up and try to only think of good days to come in your near future. Big hugs to you! Sending you a Daisy a day.

jb

AlexT

Good luck on your surgery.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
SallyK

Wishing you all the best, Beth. Hugs 💗

Caz67

Good luck 🤞 xx

TerryLT

Hi Beth, you have been through so much, and you will get through this too! Just think about how much your quality of life will improve with this new surgery. Life is full of risks, but this one is well worth taking. Make sure to keep in touch and let us know how things go. Good luck and good vibes coming your way.

Terry

doloressierra54

Hi Beth. My first stoma "died" for a variety of reasons, so I had a below the skin line stoma for 4 months. The skin kept growing over and the doctor just dilated and sent me home. Finally, he passed me off to his partner, who got the revision scheduled and done in 2 days. I went home the day after surgery with my "facelifted" new stoma and life is so much better! I was also terrified before the second one, since the first surgery had gone so awry. Totally opposite experience. I wish you the same.