Colostomy Reversal Complications and Seeking Advice on Ileostomy Reversals

Replies
Views
Berts dad
Sep 30, 2023 5:14 am

Three years ago, I had a perforated bowel due to undiagnosed diverticulitis and had a quite successful colostomy. I decided to have a reversal, but COVID meant a long wait with theaters closed, etc. Four weeks ago, the reversal was attempted, but because the large intestine had to be joined very low, it meant a high risk for leakage, so they have given me a temporary ileostomy to give the bowel time to heal. I have quite a few issues (losing weight, pain around the stoma, feeling of pressure in the rectum) and would love to hear from anyone else who has overcome these problems. I would also love to hear about successful ileostomy reversals, which I am hoping to have within the next 6-12 months. I am otherwise a healthy and fit 75-year-old. Thanks for listening.

IGGIE
Sep 30, 2023 6:31 am

Whereabouts in Melbourne are you?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,864 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Berts dad
Sep 30, 2023 9:17 am
Reply to IGGIE

Actually in Gippsland but had surgery at the Alfred.

IGGIE
Sep 30, 2023 12:58 pm
Reply to Berts dad

Hi Bert, I'm in Frankston and have a very good surgeon in Mornington, so if you're having problems and thinking of a change of surgeon, let me know. Regards, Iggie

Neilioz
Oct 11, 2023 8:41 am
Reply to Berts dad

How does the ileostomy compare to the colostomy? I might consider having the same procedure as you. The rejoin is very low down, and I get disuse proctitis in my short rectal stump, which is quite debilitating when it flares up.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister