Surviving Colon Cancer: My Unexpected Weight Loss Journey

Replies
Views
Happytostillbehere

Today, October 7th, marks 1 year since I had my ileostomy surgery. I started with my bi-annual visit to my primary care doctor in early September. I felt fine, just a little constipated. In retrospect, I sure wish I was just a little constipated. I agreed to get a blood test which led to a CT scan because of something that came up on the blood test. I didn't get 15 to 20 minutes from the CT facility after the test when I got a call from the primary office and was basically told, "Do not pass go, do not collect $200, just get your ass to the emergency room." And if there was one part of me that needed to get there, it was my ass or something close to it! And so my short journey to an instant 7 lb weight loss began. I was admitted to the hospital after a 21-hour wait in an emergency waiting room. There was a second emergency room visit that took me 23 hours to be admitted. I had my colonoscopy and as I was being wheeled out of the room, one of the technicians came over to me and said it was a good thing I came when I did. I had to wait a number of days for the biopsy report to come back because of a backlog at the lab. I guess I wasn't the only one with a backup problem. The report came back and showed colon cancer. By the way, later on, I was able to read all the test results I had. It may never make the best seller list but it was a fascinating read. The surgery was moved from October 12th to October 7th, went well, and got all of the cancer. After all was said and done and what I went through, after reading what so many of you have gone through over the years, I feel like I had ostomy lite! What a bunch of extraordinary survivors out there. As crazy as it might seem, through this whole experience, I feel I've had an easy go of it. I'm in a good place mentally and physically. Take care, all of you.

Beachboy

Howdy Happy!

Thanks for sharing your story. One of the reasons I continue to remain in Southern California is access to excellent health care, 10 minutes from my house.

When I went to the emergency room last year, the wait was 15 minutes, then I was admitted to the hospital soon after.

Glad you're doing well. Like you, I'm happy to still be here.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,487 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mysterious Mose

It is heartening every time I hear of someone that has gone through any type of cancer and has come out cancer-free. My mother had rectal cancer and opted for chemo before considering surgery. When the chemo didn't work, she had surgery which resulted in a colostomy. But, it was far too late by that time. Her cancer spread and she died within a year of the surgery. Part of the problem was the cancer was detected late, but she and my father both felt that she made a mistake in going for the chemo first. I tend to agree, but don't really know and never will. All I know is that she has been gone for 28 years and I have missed her every day of those years. So when I hear stories like yours, it does my heart so much good.

Personally, I can relate to your feeling of good fortune. I may have lost my colon and I may have almost died due to sepsis, but it had nothing to do with cancer. The only battle I had was to stay alive despite the sepsis, pneumonia, and pancreatitis. The pneumonia damaged my lungs, which had already suffered from 47 years of smoking (I quit in 2011). But other than that, I am relatively healthy for a 75-year-old male. Like you, I read the story of others here and I shake my head with wonder of how strong the human spirit can be. It is simply amazing and I feel so lucky that my journey to here has been so "easy", relatively speaking.

Thank you for sharing your story.

Daniel

Jayne

'Happy to be here' - says it all.

Bless you biggly.

You are a positive, motivated, and grateful person - who also has the grace to share your good fortune - I am very happy for you.

It's so important to share the good stuff!

We all have so much to be thankful for - and those with wisdom live and share something new every day.

:-))

Best wishes from across the pond

Jayne

Newbie Dana

I, too, am very grateful to be alive. I am now 11 years cancer-free (good old colorectal cancer), 8 years post-peritonitis/colostomy, and 9 years dealing with fallout of neuropathy from chemo. But, seriously, when all is said and done, for the most part everything is down to a routine that doesn't seriously interfere with my life and how I want to live it. Share the good! It's there when we look for it! Hugs to everyone who is feeling good today, and even more hugs to everyone who is not feeling in a good place today!

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Bertha

I admire and second your positive outlook, and believe that optimism goes a very long way in healing. I too am happy to still be here, and thankful for my stoma, Bertha, as without it I would not be here to tell the story. I am also grateful for all the advice and support that I received from other ostomates on forums such as this.