My Path to Reversal!

Replies
Views
Danno
Nov 02, 2023 3:46 pm

Hey hey! Long time no post.

I'm almost a year past my first surgery. For those who want backstory, I had colitis and chose to have an ileostomy to pave a path for a better life.

Things have been great! Went on 4 vacations this year while doing some crazy adventure tours, eating whatever I want without fear, and back to my pre-surgery muscular physique. (Yes, lifting heavy weights)

I've officially got my 2nd surgery of 3 scheduled for December, with the third and final likely 4-6 months following that.

When I started this journey I wasn't sure what I wanted. In my case, the bag has basically been problem-free. To be honest, I don't even chew my food properly and I consistently push myself more and more to test my limits. Almost “normal.”

Hoping this success finds its way to my final surgery and recovery. I'm going to be optimistic and hope for 2-4 bm a day. LET'S GOO!!!

I live in Toronto, Canada, so I'm sure things are done differently here. Apparently, my second surgery (pouch creation and loop ileostomy) will be done by “trans-anal surgery arm” entering from the anus with no openings made. So I'm hoping there's almost no recovery time.

Crazy shit.

I'll keep everyone updated as time passes, I'm sure.

DexieB
Nov 02, 2023 3:57 pm

That is great news, Danno! Reading your posts has always inspired me - thank you! I will be having a colostomy reversal on January 30th - hopefully, it will be a walk in the park compared to my last surgery. Sincerely wishing you all the best, and thank you again for your positivity!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,866 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Beachboy
Nov 02, 2023 10:04 pm

Great news, Danno!  

Through the old anus... what will they think of next?

gentlejohn
Nov 03, 2023 8:43 pm

Colon surgery is pretty uniform in both the US and Canada. Good luck with your pouch-anal procedure. At your age, you are a candidate. I hope you have talked to others who have had the procedure and have had both good and not so good experiences. And your surgeon hopefully has discussed both the good and the bad of having the procedure.

Be cautious with what exercises you do. Significant increased abdominal pressure increases the probability of developing a hernia.