Iron

Replies
Views
infinitycastle52777

There was a discussion a while back about iron causing thicker output. I don't remember if anyone said the reason for this... am wondering is it that it slows down output and thus giving the small intestine a chance to absorb liquid, or if it is the side effect of constipation. I was given iron supplements that I have been on for about a week and a half and I have noticed that I do have thicker output but still have plenty of volume. Well not excessive volume but comparable to previous amounts.  Anyone with thoughts on this matter????

Lee

Mysterious Mose

I take iron supplements because of low hemoglobin. Maybe it does thicken things a bit, but does nothing to slow down my output. It's still 9-11 dumps a day. Currently, I am experimenting with Immodium to see if that will slow things.

Daniel

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,515 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Morning glory

Daniel immodium helps me . It slows my output down some.

infinitycastle52777
Reply to Mysterious Mose

I have Imodium on a prn basis that goes with how much volume of output i have the day before then i have a chart that tells me how much Imodium to take. Like I have to reach 1,200cc to take 1 imodium and then 1,500 i take one in the morning and one before dinner and so on up to 16mg imodium in a day. If I have output over 2,400cc I'm supposed to contact the doctor. 

Lee

ron in mich

HI Daniel i take a couple immodium every day, one after breakfast and one after supper, i,d be dumping 8-10 times a day if i did,nt.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Mysterious Mose
Reply to ron in mich

I have only one full day under my belt (bag?) so far. If yesterday is any indication, it does seem to help. I only emptied my bag 6 times from midnight to midnight. The problem is that I have a nagging feeling I miscounted and, in about 30 minutes, I will have done my 3rd dump already today (it's 10 am now). That's my breakfast dump, which is usually not a big one. I try to make sure I am running on empty for my morning walk. We will see how today goes.

Mysterious Mose

6 times again yesterday. So, Immodium appears to work as advertised. :-)

Daniel